Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

MrNutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX wagon
I'm in the middle of wiring up my driving lights (not fog lights) & am having trouble trusting this wiring diagram. I've wired it up exactly how it's described here & just have to wire into the headlight plug to complete the job. My problem is that in my car, the green wire (direct to 86) has power until the high beams are turned on & then it loses power. Then the white/b (to switch then back to 85) has constant power wether the high beams are on or not. For me the tan wire (top centre of plug) has no power until I turn the high beams on. That doesn't fit with what I expected. Should I be wiring my tan wire (only has power when high beam on) to the switch then back to 85 then the green wire (has power until high beams turned on) direct to 86?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'm in the middle of wiring up my driving lights (not fog lights) & am having trouble trusting this wiring diagram. I've wired it up exactly how it's described here & just have to wire into the headlight plug to complete the job. My problem is that in my car, the green wire (direct to 86) has power until the high beams are turned on & then it loses power. Then the white/b (to switch then back to 85) has constant power wether the high beams are on or not. For me the tan wire (top centre of plug) has no power until I turn the high beams on. That doesn't fit with what I expected. Should I be wiring my tan wire (only has power when high beam on) to the switch then back to 85 then the green wire (has power until high beams turned on) direct to 86?

As I posted before.

VN's......not sure of the wire colours.
Check to see if the lights are positively or negatively switched first.

This may be of some help.

I have been following this thread for a while and can't believe why something so simple as wiring driving lights
has become so complicated.

Get rid of the relay and wiring that came with it. It's crap, too confusing and not needed.
Use your own relay and wiring.

I've done it the following way on a lot of 4x4's and never had any trouble.

Using a four pin 30 amp relay.....
Pin 85... to switch and then to light green wire (high beam earth wire VT/VZ) This wire is the switching side of your standard high beam lights.
Pins 86 and 30.... to Battery +12volts.
Pin 87... to + side of driving lights (wired in parallel)
Connect earth wires of driving lights to ground.

All that is happening is when the high beam is activated,
it turns on the relay (through pins 85 and 86), allowing power to flow through the connections (pins 30 and 87) to the driving lights.
Simple....

It doesn't mater which way pins 85 and 86 are wired, they are not polarity sensitive.
Just as long as one is + and the other one is -.
You can also put the switch on either pin 85 or 86, it doesn't matter.

If your standard high beam lights are POSITIVELY switched,
connect pin 86 to EARTH and leave the rest as described.

And all this is just from memory.

Using a 5 pin relay and wiring each light to pins 87 and 87a will not work, as when the relay is activated,
pins 87 and 87a are not joined as one connection.
I think that when the relay is off, pins 87a and 30 are connected and when the relay is activated,
pins 30 and 87 are connected. Or vice versa.

MrNutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX wagon
Thanks for the reply Nut Kracker. This is for my VX mate. I just bit the bullet & did it the way suggested & it blew the fuse straight away. I was a bit suspect on the fuse as it was the one that came with the lights (supercrap specials) & only rated 10amp so I wired in a 20amp instead & it's all working fine now.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
No worries Mate.
Good to hear all is working.

Frank7214

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I just wired up driving lights on my VE using the works everytime method. Worked a treat. I documented process and will advertise shortly.

rabit29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2
hi i have a vx series 2 wagon i did every thing the same as in the diagram but when i try to get the light to work the 60 amp head light fuse keeps blowing how do i fix this

Cobb0508

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive s2
Sorry for bringing this up i have a 3.8l VT and i am trying to install
a light bar and the problem is when i turn off the lights all together the lb turns back on i have a part time job at a auto elecki and my boss told me just to hook it up to the high beam directly and i dont understand quite what the problem is can u explain it simple on where the pos and neg from the relay go to on the high beam thanks