Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

clinton1550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SV6 Series II 6 spd manual
Hi everyone. My project for the long weekend was to wire up a lightbar on my VE Ute, I was able to get everything to work except the turning on and off with the highbeams part. I've been doing all my own wiring as I couldn't find a suitable harness, here's what I've done so far:
  • Cut the foglights and ran a wire up to the 30 pin on the relay so the foglight toggle acts as the lightbar master switch
  • Ran a wire from the 87 pin to the lightbar
  • Cut the green wire with black trace and connected one side to the 85 pin and the other to the 86 pin
So with this setup the lightbar does turn on and off when I dip the highbeams but the driver's side highbeam does not turn on. I'm guessing I have enough power for the light or the relay and not both

Where should I be splicing into the highbeam circut?

Oh and happy tenth anniversary to this thread I guess

IMG_20200412_174150.jpg

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
Are you running a new relay for the lights or tapping into the car loom?
Drivings lights should have its relay

30 to fused +ve batt feed
85 to gnd
86 tap into 12v hi beam cct
87 to driving light

85 & 86 relay coil
30 & 87 normally open contacts

relay energised when hi beam switched on, contacts close putting +12v from batt to driving lights.

Let There Be Light!

Attachments

• relay.png
    relay.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

clinton1550

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you running a new relay for the lights or tapping into the car loom?

Yes, new relay for the lightbar

Looks like I'll be able to fix the wiring without removing the front bumper again. Should just be a matter of crimping another wire into a joiner from the high beam circuit if I'm following correctly

I'll have a crack at it tomorrow and let you know how I go

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Green/white high beam to toggle switch.
Toggle switch to 86.
85 earth.
30 to battery with a 25amp inline fuse.
87 to lightbar.

Note you wont be able to double up on the fog lights if you want them still to work as they are running from the parkers or low beam.
You will need to run a new switch or disconnect your fog lights and remove the input and replace it with the high beam.
Or run the lightbar off the high beam side without a relay but its illegal to do so. Lightbars don't use much power, you also might get static on your radio when you turn it on, if so you will need those ferrite noise chokes.

clinton1550

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like I'll be able to fix the wiring without removing the front bumper again. Should just be a matter of crimping another wire into a joiner from the high beam circuit if I'm following correctly

Yep, quick and easy five minute fix, works perfectly! Thanks for your help

Note you wont be able to double up on the fog lights if you want them still to work as they are running from the parkers or low beam.
You will need to run a new switch or disconnect your fog lights and remove the input and replace it with the high beam.

I've disconnected the fog lights entirely, I figure I'm never going to need them but if I do I can always pop the bonnet, disconnect the lightbar and reconnect the foggies

I didn't want to run any extra wiring into the cab or mount a switch somewhere, that's why I used the fog light wiring. This way I can see that the lightbar is enabled with the green fog light indicator on the dash

I read this before going in, my setup is 100% legal

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep, quick and easy five minute fix, works perfectly! Thanks for your help

I've disconnected the fog lights entirely, I figure I'm never going to need them but if I do I can always pop the bonnet, disconnect the lightbar and reconnect the foggies

I didn't want to run any extra wiring into the cab or mount a switch somewhere, that's why I used the fog light wiring. This way I can see that the lightbar is enabled with the green fog light indicator on the dash

I read this before going in, my setup is 100% legal
Like I said you will have to remove the parker light (activate) wire from the fog switch and run the high beam to it or it wont be legal as the lightbar needs to work with high beam switch and have the toggle switch inline. You can simply get another fog switch or a spotlight switch and place it under the other one.

Last edited:

Holden2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S-PAC 3.8 gatrag 5sp
Yes this is all good, but my big question is can I use the genuine vy commodore s and ss switch? I know this thread is old, but I have changed my fog lights as they was broken and dull to driving lights, now when I drive around on low beam I get flashed as they are to bright

Holden2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S-PAC 3.8 gatrag 5sp
Yes this is all good, but my big question is can I use the genuine vy commodore s and ss switch? I know this thread is old, but I have changed my fog lights as they was broken and dull to driving lights, now when I drive around on low beam I get flashed as they are to bright

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Lol, only way to fix that is point them down or like I told the other person remove the parker / low beam wire off the switch and run a wire from your high beam to the switch, switch be fine.