Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] HOW TO: Wire up spot lights (VX, VY, VZ and possibly other models)

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
As this thread was started some time ago, do the kits that come with the H4 adapters to back of globe resolve the negative switching headlights issue ? What do people do with the dust cover ? Looking to install light bar on the old vx.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Ok. All sorted. Massive improvement. I'm talking night n day. Way above expectations, as vy lights sux.
I mounted light bar ($20) behind grille n carved out Lion for max 'penetration' :)
Not for stealth look. But to avoid it....
A: Being booted off.
B: Being stolen.
C: Being booted off and then stolen.
Thankyou to OP.

Attachments

• PXL_20210625_093844031.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20210625_093844031.NIGHT~2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 171

Fitzbowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6
First, I have done this on VX,VY and VZ. Should also work for VR/VS/VT. Colour codes may vary so check your manual or do a bit of testing before you wire it up the way I have done in the diagram.

I have been asked a few times as to why wiring up a set of spotties or driving lights can't be done the normal way on a Commodore. The main reason is that the newer style Commodores us what is called "positive switching". Simple terms mean that the switch / line have constant power so wiring up extra lights to work off the high beam in a conventional way will not work.

Follow the diagram below to install a set of spot lights or driving lights. Ensure you have a switch installed so as to remain compliant with state / territory regulations (separate switch for on/off accessory lights when high beam is activated)

*This can also be used for installing fog lights using the park light circuit, check the colour coded wires in your manual*

Hope this can help some of you who do long distance driving.

View attachment 91331
I have a 2007 vz and am wondering how to get the switch from the engine bay to the cab. Any solutions?

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
I have a 2007 vz and am wondering how to get the switch from the engine bay to the cab. Any solutions?
Either side of the firewall will have a rubber grommet you can poke the wires through. There will be a couple of spots you can see where the insulation has cut outs to gain access.

Andrew1414

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
First, I have done this on VX,VY and VZ. Should also work for VR/VS/VT. Colour codes may vary so check your manual or do a bit of testing before you wire it up the way I have done in the diagram.

I have been asked a few times as to why wiring up a set of spotties or driving lights can't be done the normal way on a Commodore. The main reason is that the newer style Commodores us what is called "positive switching". Simple terms mean that the switch / line have constant power so wiring up extra lights to work off the high beam in a conventional way will not work.

Follow the diagram below to install a set of spot lights or driving lights. Ensure you have a switch installed so as to remain compliant with state / territory regulations (separate switch for on/off accessory lights when high beam is activated)

*This can also be used for installing fog lights using the park light circuit, check the colour coded wires in your manual*

Hope this can help some of you who do long distance driving

View attachment 91331
Hi sixes
thanks for the wiring diagram info for VZ installed lights onto crewman.Made the installation much easier,as-otherwise. Would have been scratching my head trying to work out the wiring for switching the relay ,cheers

Reactions: Lex