Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Wire up VZ Interior Sunglasses Light to a VY Centre dome light connection

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all

I have a VY SS Series 1 which came with the full black leather interior except the roof lining & pillars. I recently replaced the roof lining and all pillars to the black ones out of the VZ SS/HSV and it looks 10 times better.

Only problem now is my existing roof lining had the VT style interior dome light in the middle of the roof which had a connector going into it consisting of four little wires into 1 plug. The wire colors are as follows:

Black
Yellow with a stripe of green
Orange with a stripe of black
White with a stripe of green

I cut them off the plug as the new VZ sunnies holder light has a 6 pin plug and it will not fit into it. The VZ sunnies light has the same colors as mine sticking out of the plug PLUS an extra two colors (purple and flat orange from memory) so what i did was connect the four colors to the same wires on the vz sunnies one and tried to power it on and nothing happened.

I have tried looking for guides on how to get this working and have found a few on here but they all involve KEEPING THE ORIGINAL light wired, and wiring the VZ one into the roof so there is two lights. I do not want that as my whole lining is off the VZ so i just want my wires to connect up to the VZ sunnies one and have that be my main light but i am having no success.

Has anybody done this before successfully? If so can you please tell me where do i wire up the existing four wires that i have hanging out of my roof now onto the vz sunnies light to get it to work and i really dont want to have to pay an auto elec 100$ for taping together 4 wires...

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
A schematic might help.

Attachments

• img003 - Copy.jpg
    img003 - Copy.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 20,211
Last edited:

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Not really, as that shows bcm connections, i already have the wires i need hanging out of my roof - i just need to know where to attach them to on the VZ Sunnies Light... this has to have been done before...

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey mate, sorry to be off topic, but do you have pics of the new roof lining? i was looking at doing it also!

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Use a multimeter/test light to check your existing wires. Black will be earth, the others can only be +batt or +acc I woulda thought?

Anyways, I can't see a little trial and error hurting, and imagine that if you wired it up so that same wires match up - old harness to new plug, you'll be fine. The 2 extra wires will be to feed the rear passenger l;ights so I would think can be safely ignored ?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
It should work if you do this:

white/green(wg) to yellow/blue (yl).

orange/black(ob) to orange/black(right side).

black(bl) to purple(p) & black(bl).

yellow/blue(yl) to orange/black(left side) & white/green(wg).

Notes,

All colours in bold are existing vehicle wires. Balance are VZ interior lighting connector.

You will need to find the correct L&R orange/brown wires yourself by refering to the schematic below.

Pull the interior illumination fuse before starting work.

No responsibility accepted on my part for any damage.

Good luck!

Attachments

• img003 - Copy.jpg
    img003 - Copy.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7,220
Last edited:

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Your a champion my friend this is exactly what i was looking for.. I am going to try this first chance i get. I thought by connecting same color wires it should have worked but obviously that was not the case.. especially when i seen the purple and second orange wire hanging on the connector.. i just thought they were not to be utilized as i didnt have them sticking out of my roof.

Will try and let you know how i go.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Even easier

To save some rootin' around. I have done the work for you.

See pic.

RH orange/black wire is #6.

LH orange/black wire is #3

Attachments

• Photo0217.jpg
    Photo0217.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,919
Last edited:

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To save some rootin' around. I have done the work for you.

See pic.

RH orange/brown wire is #6.

LH orange/brown wire is #3

Your a champion mate many thanks.

I am going to do this Saturday (would have done it earlier but i work till dark)

I have one question though, where you have listed the following:

white/green(wg) to yellow/blue (yl).

orange/brown(ob) to orange/brown(right side).

black/white(bl) to purple(p) & black/white(bl).

yellow/blue(yl) to orange/brown(left side) & white/green(wg).

I do not have a black/white lead coming out of my roof - the lead i have coming out seems to be fully black.. is it the same thing?