Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To - VT Brake Upgrade

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
How To - VT Brake Upgrade

N.B. I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for damage done to your vehicle if you follow this guide and it does not work, I didnt have a problem tho!

Tools and Parts Required
(pic 1)

Instructions:

1. Make sure you have all the tools and parts you are going to require for this job.
2. Loosen the wheel nuts slightly
3. Jack the car up and support of jack stands.
4. Remove the wheel (pic 2)
5. Remove the two bolts from the rear of the caliper (pic 3)
6. Clamp the brake line near the body of the vehicle to reduce fluid loss (pic 4)
7. Loosen the bleeder on the rear of the caliper enough to allow fluid to come out. (pic 5)
8. Twist the brake line about 90 degrees and push towards the engine bay to remove (pic 6)
9. Remove the caliper from the disc (pic 7)
10. Grab the new brake line and clamp that one as well (pic 8)
11. Undo the existing brake line from the vehicle and remove (pic 9)
12. Replace the brake line with the new one and place it back in the clip on the strut (pic 10)
13. Remove the old disc from the vehicle (this may take a while and may require a rubber mallet or a hammer if you are disposing of the old discs) (pic 11)
14. Remove the guard from behind the hub as the VT caliper will not fit with it still in place (you could replace this but I will do so later on) (pic 12)
15. Place new disc on to the hub and push it on as far as you can. (pic 13)
16. Place new pads into the VT caliper ensuring the pistons are fully retracted. (pic 14)
17. Fit the VT caliper to the disc make sure the bleed nipple is at the top and ensure you tighten the two bolts on the back (pic 15)
18. Fit the brake line onto the caliper and tighten (pic 16)
19. Undo the bleeder and remove the brake line clamp to allow fluid to come through. (pic 17)
20. Bleed the entire brake system ensuring the reservour is kept full.
21. Replace the wheel and place vehicle back onto the ground
22. Enjoy the new stopping power!

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 5,288
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 5,275
  • pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,889
  • pic 4.JPG
    pic 4.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 4,024
  • pic 5.JPG
    pic 5.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,639
  • pic 6.JPG
    pic 6.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 3,466
  • pic 7.JPG
    pic 7.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 3,932
  • pic 8.JPG
    pic 8.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,603
  • pic 9.JPG
    pic 9.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 3,786
  • pic 10.JPG
    pic 10.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,957
  • pic 11.JPG
    pic 11.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 4,070
  • pic 12.JPG
    pic 12.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,055
  • pic 13.JPG
    pic 13.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 4,437
  • pic 14.JPG
    pic 14.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,034
  • pic 15.JPG
    pic 15.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 6,430
  • pic 16.JPG
    pic 16.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,763
  • pic 17.JPG
    pic 17.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 4,158
Last edited:

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
Just copied the comments for this from when it was posted in the VR-VS Section prior to being placed in here, I thought I would include them here so you guys can be more sure what the go is as I was a little vague to start with.

Wagon_Wheel - Decent write up man.
After doing the conversion myself, i would recommend going with the VT master and booster as the pedal feel is quite spongy.
I will be doing so when money permits me to do so

ephect - Leigh, nice write up

come up good, so glad you used new brake lines. be interesting how you find pedal feel, with new rubber hoses, most ppl go braided lines. i know some ppl havent had a problem and others had to upgrade to the vt booster.

post up how the pedal feel is after u bed everything in. again, top work!

littlegeorgy01 - yeah thanks mate, pedal feel isnt terrific at the moment but i can stop pretty quick, did a few 100 to 0km/h tests yesterday and was highly amazed at the distance difference vs the standard vs brakes stopping distance. i havent had any braking fade since i have done this upgrade and i would highly recommend it. altho i think i will upgrade booster some time soon.

whiteknightVR94 - Exellent write up did not know it was that easy, um not to sound like a newb but these are the LS1 GENIII VTII 330mm rotors and gear, or did the big brake`s come with the six banger as well.

VrWagz1 - Did you need the adaptor rings on the hubs, or do the vs's have a bigger hub than the vr's. Slotted rotors look nice, i only got stock vx ones on mine. I did this write up ages ago if your interested in doing the vt booster master setup.

littlegeorgy01 - no the ones i have put on did not need the adaptor rings, they were made to fit vs hubs but your standard vt ones need shims (adaptor rings)

immortality - good write up. might pay to add that you gotta make sure the bleed nipple is at the top when fitting new calipers. hopefully i'll be fitting the same upgrade on the VN soon. much lighter car so new brakes should work better still. it's a pitty about the plastic fantastic brake booosters on the VS. ican bolt a 1" master cylinder straight on mine and it's sorted

VrWagz1 -
You'll still find the pedal is crap with the 1" still. Your best to do the booster and master upgrade, the brake pedal gets shorter again and it stops properly with only a slight touch of the pedal. Its light years apart from the standard booster m/c setup.

Not_An_Abba_fan - You can use the original booster if you fit the adapter to the shaft where it goes into the 1" M/cyl.

littlegeorgy01 - thanks immortality i didnt realise i hadnt put it in.

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
No mention at all on which way the rotors are to go on.Would not be so good for someone to put them on with the cooling veins facing the wrong way... Not a bad write up, but could do with a little more detail to it.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Not a bad thread dig to simply critisise some elses efforts. Its been quiet useful to alot of people.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
No mention at all on which way the rotors are to go on.Would not be so good for someone to put them on with the cooling veins facing the wrong way... Not a bad write up, but could do with a little more detail to it.

from what ive been told it doesnt really matter what way they go on. personal preference.

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
Makes a big difference to the cooling of the rotors on which way the veins are facing, NOT the slots, the slots have nothing to do with cooling. It has NOTHING to do with "personal preference " at all. And VrWagz1, i would think it would be pretty bloody important to get that right, or at least to mention it.

I am sure it has helped a lot of people, but makes me wonder how many rotors ARE being installed incorrectly.The MAIN part of installing ANY new rotor has been left out completely. Not all manufacturers make the veins face the same way, so it is very individual to the rotor branding too.

Last edited:

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
And just to reinforce that fact, in the last picture i can see the vein tip, which appears to be trailing towards the rear of the car.If they are trailing to the rear THE ROTORS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED BACKWARDS.........

Don't bother having a ***ing whinge at me for pointing out this. Tech articles are suppose to help , yes, but they should also include the correct information. A lot of sites will have to approve tech articles just for this reason..

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
More than likely the person who done the write up is not aware that they have a right and wrong way to go on. Just like many people who take the time and effort to write up how-to's for other people to benifit, they are not experts but simply put the effort into maybe helping others. People take there own liability on board when using any of these guides and is their responsobility to check their work is correct.
The original poster and others may have actually appreciated knowing this imformation if you would have written it in a more friendly helpful way. I also very much doubt Darren is going to employ an engineer to read peoples how-to's and approve them for use. Maybe the other forums you speak of have more reasources than this one.

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
And just to reinforce that fact, in the last picture i can see the vein tip, which appears to be trailing towards the rear of the car.If they are trailing to the rear THE ROTORS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED BACKWARDS.........

Don't bother having a ***ing whinge at me for pointing out this. Tech articles are suppose to help , yes, but they should also include the correct information. A lot of sites will have to approve tech articles just for this reason..

The fins inside the disc are trailing towards the front of the car as seen in the picture. The calipers are on the front of the disc. If you have any suggestions as to what you feel needs to be added to this how to feel free to PM them to me. As stated at the start of the How To I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY TO ANY DAMAGE ETC FROM FOLLOWING THE INFORMATION I HAVE GIVEN. This is just a guide to help people if they need it. Its by no means a professional write up and I have had no problems with cooling or anything else. They have been absolutely brilliant and saved me from hitting another motorist (Their Fault)

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Makes a big difference to the cooling of the rotors on which way the veins are facing, NOT the slots, the slots have nothing to do with cooling. It has NOTHING to do with "personal preference " at all. And VrWagz1, i would think it would be pretty bloody important to get that right, or at least to mention it.

I am sure it has helped a lot of people, but makes me wonder how many rotors ARE being installed incorrectly.The MAIN part of installing ANY new rotor has been left out completely. Not all manufacturers make the veins face the same way, so it is very individual to the rotor branding too.
Correct. The direction of the external slots makes absolutely no difference what so ever. The only thing that makes a difference is the direction of the internal veins. RDA (and DBA to the best of my knowledge, certainly the Kangaroo paw is) have non-directional veins, so it makes no difference which side they go on.

Some of the more top end rotors will actually have external slots which you would consider to be going backwards, but the internal veins are correct. With slotted rotors you can't judge a book by it's cover...