Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How's the Active Select?

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Just out of curiosity, i was wondering how decent the Active Select is on the VE SS automatics?

To anyone who might know, is it more responsive than the VZ's A/S?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
VZ's have active select? :confused:

My SSV sometimes gets the 3rd to 2nd lag, which is common and well documented here if you do a search. Although I'm pretty certain Holden will eventually fix it (others here have had it fixed), it's pretty annoying, and if I could do it all again, I'd probably get a manual.

Having said that, the Active Select does everything else well and is quite fun to drive.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
It's hopeless
- laggy shifts (5-6 seconds wait, at times)
- shifts sometimes so slow from 1 -> 2 that the motor hits the rev limiter because it didn't change in time.
- sometimes when in active select mode, the dash displays "D" and you can't change up or down. Ignition off & on again fixes that. Quite hard whilst driving.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I would have to agree with all of the above, I don't like it then again I am not a fan of any Holden auto trans thus far dating back to the VN era.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the shifts were laggy as 5 - 6 seconds but certainly 1 - 2 seconds.

Next car will be manual for sure, after test driving the 6sp auto I thought it was great but 6 months on it's not my cup of tea that's for sure.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tommo, unfortunately I think you got an exceptionally bad one :)

I can't believe Holden haven't fixed it for you yet, though not from a lack of trying from what I recall in your other posts.

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
VZ's have active select? :confused:

Yup, paddle shift style. Bit of a gimmick really...

Disappointing to hear they haven't improved it...would be nice to see a top notch auto from The General one day...

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
Doesn't seem too bad on the downshift but takes 1 or 2 seconds to change up a gear as others have said.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i haven't has any dramas in mine yet...... only about 1 second between shifts, but not what i would call laggy

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Doesn't seem too bad on the downshift but takes 1 or 2 seconds to change up a gear as others have said.

actually in mine it seems to lag more on the downshift than on upshift. Generally, just running it in D in sports shift mode is good enough for me.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't find the upshifts too bad on mine. There is a small lag - not 1 sec, maybe 0.5 sec - but that's normal in a stock car. They do it to protect the drivetrain.

I'm sure a good tuner could harden up the shifts to your liking if you wanted to. I had it done in my VY SS.

...Not sure if they could get rid of the dreaded 3-2 lag though...