Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hows the Alloytech goin??

D

Dreama

just wonderin how the new Alloytech is going? i havent heard much about them - actually, havent heard anything.
Do you reacon they will drop the 180kw version for the next model and just have the 190kw version (hopefully, cos then i can have one for company car!!)

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
You mean 175kW? Nah. I reckon the first thing to go will be the shitty four speed auto. They should've had the five speed on everything (even base model Utes) from the beginning... and I hope... JUST HOPE... they release more models with a manual <touches wood>. Oh and I remember reading in MOTOR magazine a couple of years ago that a six-speed auto would be in both Falcon (XR8 and up) and Commodore (V8 models) within six months. Well that means it should be coming out about April 2003... hmmmm... running a bit late I see................

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
What happened to the classic 3.8lt Engines, I dont like the alloytec, its like a Japanese V6.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
lol it IS a little quiet ay... They don't make the 3.8 AT ALL anymore... damn... it was coarse and unrefined but it WAS a good engine... EXCELLENT revver too...

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I drove a 175 before I got my SV6 and was a little dissapointed. It felt a little strangled, but the SV6, although only 15KW more, seems way better & revs a lot better.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport / V8 M5
these engines have no torque, dont open up until 3500 - 4000 and in a commodore just arnt suited

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Vaughn said:
these engines have no torque, dont open up until 3500 - 4000 and in a commodore just arnt suited

Well I disagree with you. the engines are only moderately powered at normal driving revs (1500-2500), but that maintains fuel efficiency, and adequate power for normal driving. Put the boot into it and the engines easily rev to redline and have excellent power & performance for a small V6.

You want power, get a V8, but dont whinge about the absolute crap fuel consumption for normal driving. The V6 suits a family car - thats what the commodore is, and will remain for quite a while.

MySV6

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Coming from the Ecotec to the Alloytec, I like certain things about both, the alloytec is soooo much smoother than the ecotec (also helped by the mods to the 4 speed auto box), however I think the ecotec had a bit more response in the low revs, but that may be because of the electronic throttle control too. Overall it makes a faster car, I remember points where my VY was doing 120 the VZ is easily at the 140km/h mark, so overall I'm happy with it, and atleast it doesn't sound like its going to fall apart in the high rev ranges.

Does anyone else find it hard to spin the wheels in the Alloytec 175 hehe?