Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How's the PS3 as an entertainment hub?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Did a bit of reading in other places, a bit concerned how it stacks up to XBMC (ignoring HD):

I have 360, PS3 and Xbox with XBMC and I have also been hoping that the PS3 would replace the XBMC-box, but sorry to say it's just not as good. The PS3 chokes on a large percentage of Xvids without transcoding, and the interface is just not as good. Obviously it can play HD material, which is where I have been using it, but otherwise I have stuck with XBMC. There is also the wife factor, and my wife prefers it as t is just easier to use.

I think I have been spoiled by XBMC as it is just so good, I mean it plays absolutely anything except HD stuff; VCDs, .rmvb, flash video, even file still inside .rar without un-raring them. No commerical system is going to offer as much as this. The best we can hope for is that the Linux port is successful so we can run it on a PS3!

Though it is being ported to Linux it'll take a while (though with a decent PC HD won't be an issue)... I just don't know any more, everything works on my XBOX except for HD, don't want to risk having files not work on a PS3 which I want to use to replace the XBOX. A few people say they have kept their XBOX's in addition to the PS3. Will do a bit more reading and get a few more opinions

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Ps3 is tip top with the wireless built in and blu ray but it doesn't play .avi files (plays everything else tho) for some stupid reason, and if i install yellow dog (linux) i have to format the hd which is annoying, but overall im very impressed with it, especially online gaming and game updates (mostly) for free.

anyone wanna have a game i play GT5 prologue and gta 4 and username is ucwepn05

gdunkley84

I Have a Dent.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Sportswagon
From firmware version 2.10 I think it was (nearly 12months ago) the PS3 can now play DivX natively. And you can also get other programs to run on your pc to do on the fly conversion to the PS3. I just converted everything I had that wasn't DivX into DivX