Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How's the PS3 as an entertainment hub?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey all,

My XBOX 1 running XBMC (formerly XBOX Media Centre) is getting dated and lacks the processing power to push anything out at high definition. I [strike]want[/strike] need a new media centre box for the lounge, and am interested in the PS3 knowing it can do HD.

I have all my media on this PC box (356GB of TV series, 129GB music, 365GB of Movies) spread over 3 hard drives which I don't want to remove from the PC (so burning them or storing on the internal hard drive's not an option) so I wanted to know; can I access my media easily from the XMB through the network (via samba shares, server software etc.), and how versatile is the PS3 at playing back content (compatability with codecs, ability to clean up video, etc.)?

Also what are the SKU's available? And would it be a better (though much more costly) to build a media centre PC instead?

Thanks for all input guys

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Personally I would go for a decent HD DVD player & surround sound if you just want a media centre,

The PS3 is overated for the price it is. I mean they could have atleast fitted a blue-ray dvd player into it for $600 odd dollars.

Best to wait till the financial year to get a PS3 so the price drops. Save your $$$ :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Personally I would go for a decent HD DVD player & surround sound if you just want a media centre,

The PS3 is overated for the price it is. I mean they could have atleast fitted a blue-ray dvd player into it for $600 odd dollars.

Best to wait till the financial year to get a PS3 so the price drops. Save your $$$ :)

PS3 does have a Blu Ray player in it, hence it's 600+ price tag.:thumbsup:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
ummm it does have a blue ray player in it mate

OP beat me to it :p

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
PS3 has a blu-ray drive meaning it's future proof (not that it's of any use except for high quality - I believe the future is in digital distribution), and then there's support for Gran Turismo 5 when it finally does come out though my main reason is media playback which is why I asked... also to add I wonder if it supports AAC, WMA/WMV, MOV, RM, FLAC, etc (all supported by XBMC software on the original XBOX), because these are licenced technologies,

If it were powerful enough I wouldn't bother but the XBOX's 733MHz Pentium 3 just can't cope with HD at all, and it is quite slow (I don't even have a controller for it, just the remote lol). They're an extremely versatile, cheap media player though stuck in SD. It can output 720P and 1080i but it dies with the high bit rates.

I know the PS3 has Linux available but thought it was limited and would be too inconvenient booting into it to watch/listen to something versus opening it straight from the XMB

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
personally i would have rathered they left it out, and just sold the PS3's for $350-400, i mean i have a Video player, a DVD player, i have TV and Digital TV, i have foxtel, and what, now i'm supposed to have Blue ray aswell??? I miss the old days where you just press a button and turn the knob....

VC_HDT

Reaction score
trying to stitch the wife to get a better car
Members Ride
VC HDT, VN Berlina & WIFES VR Stato

i dont get what you mean, as it is a bluray dvd player?
i use mine to stream avis from the pc with no probs
im not fully inot the media centre thing like vs omega so not sure what other file types you maybe wanting to play,but i think you need to convert mkv files before the ps3 will read them though.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
personally i would have rathered they left it out, and just sold the PS3's for $350-400, i mean i have a Video player, a DVD player, i have TV and Digital TV, i have foxtel, and what, now i'm supposed to have Blue ray aswell??? I miss the old days where you just press a button and turn the knob....

Agreed, the discs aren't mainstream enough at the moment (burners and media are too expensive), at least with the XBOX 360 the HD-DVD drive was optional so when it got beaten by BD-ROM it wasn't too bad and kept the prices of the SKU's down.

Does anyone know how the console performs over the internet and on a network (not in gaming but for media, browsing etc.)? I've got a PSP as well though I don't think there's too much that can be done between the two

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
the ps3 is an awesome media center. if you have windows vista it is a breeze to stream media. My father in law has even got a mac to stream to it. if u have a full hd tv then you will love the video quality off blu-ray and the games are good also... if you are serious about media then go ps3.... it has also taken every video format i have thrown at it(mp4,mp3,div-x,avi,x-vid, etc. music and photos too... you wont regret it, especially if you have a full hd tv...