Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP stamped on the side of the motor??

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
me and my little brother were cleaning out a shed down at our block down the road from me today to put his valiant in. and there was 4 holden 6 motors.. 3 202's and one with HP in the casting where the 202 is on the other 3.. they are all red motors.. i didn't know what the go is with the HP one. i am thinking it stands for high performance. but i didn't know if it is a 186 or a 202 or if it is a special block.
i spose i am just wondering if i have something rare i could sell. or is it just a motor to goto the scrappy when he comes..
i am thinking it is nothing special. but i thought i would just ask..

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
could be a 186S block. they ahd twin carbs from factory and were in EH's?? might be wrong aboutt he model but it was in that era

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
before we bought the place there was a few hq/j/x/z's shells out there. but theyw ere removed before we took over. but i reckon he was a holden man from way back.
so i don't know..
are s blocks worth much.. i know a 265 hemi S block is worth a little more.. but i have no idea about holden 6's

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
a blocks a block isnt it??? was the heads that set them apart form standard motors i thought??

would be worth hanging onto tho... if the bore is still in a machineable state:thumbsup:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
186s came to light in the HT monaro.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i was just talking to a mate and he reckons there was the 186s and the 179 HP which was a higher compression motor.. so it could be one of those..
yeah a block can be a block. but sometimes i know with the 265 s blocks and i think the early 360's had thicker cylinder walls.
i didn't know if that was the case with some holden motors.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
peanuts inc is right but it was the 1968 hd model also hp was stamped on many holden blocks over the years from 179 to 308 and maybe beyond, the block has a stronger cast iron mix (for the higher compression heads) possibly from more nickel in the mix and extra ribbing in the cast and they are sought after engines buy the enthusiasts if you search around they sell for around $350+ for a block depending on size and condition, worth quite a bit more than scrap value!

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
how do ya tell what size motor it is.. engine number??? i have no idea at all. i wouldn't even know where to look for the engine number on one of them.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
sorry correction 1965 hd.:bang:
to determine the size would be in the bore measurements and piston size which I don't know
the engine is a 179-202 other than that I can't help sorry! but stick around I'm sure one of our other members will have the answers:thumbsup:

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
i'm pretty sure its a either a 149 161 or 179, the hp blocks only went to that capacity the 186s and x2 blocks where marked differrent....... not a 100% sure tho.....

is the engine number on the right hand side near where the dizzy sits?