Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP stamped on the side of the motor??

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ Ute/A5 & 06 XR6T A6
I was laughing harder and harder as i scrolled down... Glad someone here uses google for what is what too...

But you could of given credit to where you got your info from.... ( just about word for word too)

Your right about giving credit where credit is due. No deliberate plagerism intended.

Not my info,but i saved the info as a word doc. from a landrover site when i was chasing engine info on a LC GTR some time ago.

Glenn

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
JP 202 was LJ XU-1
its factory replacement is NP prefix

the LC XU-1 was 186
its prefix's were: 186X (early)
3100X (mid)
CK186 (late)

as to the Value for the 179HP?. well i recon only about $50 for a long, suit rebuild.
... i have 4, and i would let them go for $50 each,

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
ALL HP blocks were fitted with steel cranks. Which are stronger and rev harder and higher than the standard crank.
The HR X2 model did NOT come with a two barrel WW Stromberg carb. X2 was the official model denomination for Twin single barrel down draught Stromberg carbs.
The EH had a model released known as the S4, this was Holden's first factory "Performance" car, it had wider brake drums and shoes, a very mild cam and only came with a high comp 179. There was no option for Automatic in this model. It was quicker than the standard EH but not by much.
There were four engine options in the EH, both low and high comp versions of both 149 and 179 engines. The HD carried these engines over, adding the twin carb, 2 piece header in the X2 version.
The compression rating was all in the head, it's got nothing to do with the block. On the passeger side of the head there is either an L or an H cast into it about 2/3's of the way down towards the rear end of the head. L for low comp and H for high comp.
When the HR was released both 149 and 179 were replaced by the 161 and 186, again both high and low comp version plus the X2 twin carb with 2 piece headers as featured on the HD.
The JP block as used in LC and LJ GTR and GTR-XU1 was also fitted with the steel crank. They are highly sought after items among the Torana crowd.
The engine number will help identify the cubic capacity of the block in question. Google some car clubs and they'll be happy to help you out.
An HP block with either a steel crank or a black motor internally balanced crank with the "starfire" rods as fitted to the starfire four cylinder in VC commies and Toyota Corona's and also black motors with a high comp head, 40/80 solid cam and multiple carbs with the black motor's electronic dizzy make for one hot sixpot. Factory bits put together in this combination are tough and reliable with good horsepower outputs. In an early Holden EJ, EH, HD, HR or a LC LJ Torrie, this combo will give most 5litre VN-VS a run for its money. My Uncle has an LJ 2 door with triple Dellortos and a Celica 5 speed with a very similar combo to what I've described above and has run 13 second passes at Eastern Creek.

Last edited:

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
dynamytedave,
mostly correct.
except All JP's are 202 , LJ only
- all LC XU-1 ran a 186, prefixes that i have listed above. ^^^^

- there is no such thing as a steel 202 crank.

- the 179HP in the EH was only available on one compression ratio, all had prefix M

- the steel crank in the 179HP contiuned, but in the Mid 1965 HD up was cast as 179, not HP.

Last edited:

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Yeah, I stuffed that one up about the LJ XU1's, I forgot they were changed to 202's. I think I might've had a few bourbons that night.
I don't want to start a full on brawl, but I'm pretty sure EH 179's had both L & H heads available.
I'll take it onboard, but I've just re-read what I posted but I can't seem to find any reference to a steel 202 crank. Only internally balanced 202 cranks and no reference to 179HP HD's either, but I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway.

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
no worries mate.
i was just pointing out that the HD 179 was the same as the HP,
i.e both had steel crank.

202injected

Quality Engine Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec. 3.6
HP blocks also had thicker bore castings

as for steel cranks, yes the earlier smaller engines 149,161,179 had nodular steel cranks, but i am pretty sure that the 202's from the XU1 GTR (GTR only) also had them (please correct me if i am wrong), spun by heavy duty rods. later models all had cast cranks, and the blue motors (2.85 and 3.3) got the fully counterbalanced cast crankshaft which had bigger big end journals than the red cranks, spun buy the famous starfire rods (the strongers factory holden rods). These rods where the only decent thing to come of that gutless little 4cyl boat anchor.

A value on a HP block would depend on it's condtion and who was buying it, a virgin block (std bore, std height and std tunnels) is prolly worth about $250 to the right buyer, the steel crank about $450 (again it is a STD/STD virgin with no bend or damage). and the matching high compression head another $300

Someone mentioned a HP cast 308 block? depending on it's engine number it is most likely a GTS bathurst monaro block.

XMY308

Reaction score
Members Ride
5LT VS series 3 UTE manual
some of the old hp blocks could be bored 220 thou as to 60 thou that used to make them wanted (also made them time bombs) as for high or low compression all six cyl came with that option. holden 202. 149 high compression head. ford 250 pre crossflow crank with starfire rods. decent carby in a toranna. most things will have trouble trying to match this.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Someone mentioned a HP cast 308 block? depending on it's engine number it is most likely a GTS bathurst monaro block.

That's all good but ^^ the "Bathurst" Monaro were just the top of the range with the 327/350s that had the bigger tank, solid bushed (from the HK's) front end, I think they had tramp rods on the leaf springs too. There were no 308's in them

VR mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Executive
they are definately a 179. I have seen three of them. One originally out of an EH and its replacement.

Where I saw them used to some advantage was the third one I saw. It was suped up, I think 149 or shaved head to bump up compression, multi carbs, etc to be raced in hillclimb under 3 litre class in a homemade race buggy build on a who knows what chassis. It was used to get the guy into an under three litre class.

It wasn't that is was the best motor in the world but available, relative cheap way to use a holden six in a level of motor sport you can get into and have some chance of competiveness.

H.