Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP stamped on the side of the motor??

XMY308

Reaction score
Members Ride
5LT VS series 3 UTE manual
That's all good but ^^ the "Bathurst" Monaro were just the top of the range with the 327/350s that had the bigger tank, solid bushed (from the HK's) front end, I think they had tramp rods on the leaf springs too. There were no 308's in them
Hk. came out with 307 (327 bathurst) chev HT. HG both came out with 253 308 (350 bathurst). iv never seen 308 hp block. only 179 hp

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've seen two different HP 308 blocks. Both in HG's or there abouts, they are or were definalty around not that I think they are anything special

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
Some HP 308 motors came out in some J series beford trucks

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
HP blocks also had thicker bore castings

as for steel cranks, yes the earlier smaller engines 149,161,179 had nodular steel cranks, but i am pretty sure that the 202's from the XU1 GTR (GTR only) also had them (please correct me if i am wrong), spun by heavy duty rods. later models all had cast cranks, and the blue motors (2.85 and 3.3) got the fully counterbalanced cast crankshaft which had bigger big end journals than the red cranks, spun buy the famous starfire rods (the strongers factory holden rods). These rods where the only decent thing to come of that gutless little 4cyl boat anchor.

A value on a HP block would depend on it's condtion and who was buying it, a virgin block (std bore, std height and std tunnels) is prolly worth about $250 to the right buyer, the steel crank about $450 (again it is a STD/STD virgin with no bend or damage). and the matching high compression head another $300

Someone mentioned a HP cast 308 block? depending on it's engine number it is most likely a GTS bathurst monaro block.

Not entirely correct. Yes.blue and black 202 (3.3lt) had full counterbalanced cast cranks but 2.85lt blue's (or 173's) did not. Starfire rods and blue/black rods are the same the change was made across the whole range they're just a name that has stuck for no real reason.

Scottagun

Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Kingswood
Blocks n carbs....

me and my little brother were cleaning out a shed down at our block down the road from me today to put his valiant in. and there was 4 holden 6 motors.. 3 202's and one with HP in the casting where the 202 is on the other 3.. they are all red motors.. i didn't know what the go is with the HP one. i am thinking it stands for high performance. but i didn't know if it is a 186 or a 202 or if it is a special block.
i spose i am just wondering if i have something rare i could sell. or is it just a motor to goto the scrappy when he comes..
i am thinking it is nothing special. but i thought i would just ask..

Hey bloke, I'm a bit late (like 4 yrs), but hey, I'm old enough to be late.
Some facts for ya....
186s - didn't have twin carbs, only the X2 (hence the name), which was a 179HP in a HD or HR.
HP Block - is a 179. It was the crank which is the good part. You'll find blokes doing up a red motor will use a 179 HP crank if they can.
Valiant Hemi 265 S Block - The back of the block is cast different to other hemi 6's. It's set up to take V8 gearboxes and tranny's.
WANT A TOUGH HEMI ? Get a 245 Heavy Duty motor from a truck. They have an extra main bearing.
Myself ? I run a dead stock (right down to the hubcaps) HG Kingswood with 75000 on the clock, optioned bucket seats and console from the factory, optioned metallic paint from the factory, and barely a spanner has touched it.
My daily drive.
Want a look? Go here Untitled Album | Facebook

Draco

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
I only just read this post myself and agree with Scottagun on the motors.
There is still a shortage of hp blocks at std bore as the app J racers are still on the lookout for them.
Back in the 1970,s we used to use the hp block bored out to 192 with a fully ported 149 head, 308 stainless valves etc.
You could not get a better motor till they started using the modified 250 cranks.
Now I see that they are also using modded 250 x flow heads on 202's to get them to rev a bit harder.
I have been told that they will rev freely to 7500 rpm.

Cheers Draco.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Thanks for bumping this thread guys, I got a good laugh reading most of the "info" in it. The filler in between the handful of facts anyway :)

t337

Reaction score
Members Ride
cv8
HP blocks were just 179 cid fitted to eh they had the 149 which had no engine ID casting both had steel cracks I fitted heaps of ford 221 stroker cranks to these 179 hp blocks for customers bored them out to 3.655" (std 186 bore plus 55 tho) to fit the ford slugs seem to handle it ok had a couple of rejects due to rust eating into the cylinder noone used anti corrosion back then . Had a few 308 HP blocks through the workshop as well these her very earll HG blocks the 253 's of the same era had no block casting on them