Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HPF and LPF settings

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I have a brand new Clarion wma/mp3/ipod deck in my VR SS. This powers a pair of Clarion 6" splits in the front and a pair of Alpine 6x9s in the back, as well as feeding a mono Alpine amp and Alpine 12" sub.
The deck has LPF settings 50, 80 and 120, or the default setting REAR (which it's set to now). The subwoofer volume control is only available if it's NOT set to rear. I'd like to have this option.
The deck also has HPF settings OFF (default and current setting) and 120.
Should I be using the HPF and LPF for my current setup? I give my stereo a beating every time it's on, pretty much. Volume sits constantly at around the 20-26 level.
I don't really know much about these filters, so any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sam

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
LPF means low pass filter you would set this on 80ish if your running a subwoofa
if your not dont turn it on or youll get only bass through ya spkrs

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
i think i get what ur saying, if ur running a sub through ur mono amplifier and u want to be able to use the gain on ur head unit to turn up the volume on ur subwoofer which is what it sounds like u want to do then u should set the lpf on ur head unit to 120hz which will set ur head unit's pre-outs to sub-woofer mode and u can adjust the volume from there, but what u should also do after this is adjust the lpf (low-pass filter) on ur amplifier, because 120hz is a little high to be tuning a subwoofer, so try setting ur amp to lpf mode at around 70-80hz, or better yet listen to the kind of music u like best and play with ur lpf pot until u get the right tone

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
put ya headunit on 80 not 120
then only upto 80 will go down the rca to your amp
set amp at 70-80 aprox bass will sound nice then

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
personally dont even bother with the hp/lp filters in ther deck. use the amps ones. itsa easier and you will usually get a better result.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
OK I went to Alberts and asked what they thought as well, the most experienced installer there said that high-pass 120 and low-pass 80 should work well for my setup. I now have sub volume control from the deck, and I know bass frequencies won't be wearing out my cabin speakers :)

garfa, I would just use the amp settings as you suggested, but the only thing amplified is my subwoofer so I couldn't set a HPF for my other speakers.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ah yes, you sorta say that at the top , huh......
well realls you need to remember that the settings of the headunit is independant of the sub RCA out. eg lowering the h/u bass will not effect the sub.
personally i would adjust the bass and trebal then set the high pass. the main reason that gets dealt with regarding a high pass used on speakers is that it will potentionaly avoid the cone geting over-excursed from trying to play a low frequency out of its frequency range. (plus it sounds better)
and with regard to the setting you were advised on, set them to that then try lowering the high pass a bit (110) and raising the low pass (100-90). you will probably find it will sound a bit better

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
happy to help, just want the best for ya...