Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hpr15 now fully synthetic

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
hey guys,

i've been using penrite hpr15 (15w60) in my 304 for 4 years now and it's been great, i notice a lot of people recommend it for 304s. however i went to grab some today noticed that it's now fully synthetic instead of semi. i'm not comfortable using a fully synthetic on a 304. what's the go with this? what are you guys going to use now, hpr20 (20w60) mineral? something else? keen to know what you think :)

christian

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
i'm not comfortable using a fully synthetic on a 304.

Just curious, why are you not comfortable using a fully synthetic oil, if that is what is available in your desired viscosity range?

Most modern fully synthetic oils are compatible with mineral/mineral-synthetic blend oils, as are most modern engine seals.

sxi ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
I have used fully synthetic oil in my 304 for the past two years and the previous owner had also no problems so far

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Just curious, why are you not comfortable using a fully synthetic oil, if that is what is available in your desired viscosity range

i remember reading peoples opinions a few years back, the one's that stuck in mind were that it's "harsh on the bearings" and shouldn't be used in engines designed to take mineral. can't seem to find this info any more though and every website i've researched seems to suggest synthetic is ok. so my reason for worrying doesn't seem to have much ground - but still, it's in the back of my mind.

Modern oils apparently have less ZDDP than older oils. That is fine if you have a roller cam but very bad if you have a flat tappet cam. See the article --> ZDDP - Debunking The Motor Oil Additive Urban Legend

that's an interesting read. does zddp content differ between mineral and synthetics?