Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HQ / HZ Holden Forums

Maxx1

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hey
I'm trying if find a good fourms to do with HQ and HZ Holdens

Only question im wanting to know if, I'm building a speedway car and am running a HQ Holden 3 speed gearbox,and am turning it on the side and am wanting to run a gear shifter that will bolt on with no linkages.

Dont want to be running linkages etc

Thanks heaps

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
No need to turn it on its side. Just run a Speco thomas floor shift. You can also use the shifter from an M20 or M21 four speed box but you have to fabricate a mounting bracket to bolt it up to the gearbox mount bolts and i think you have to cut off the reverse lever at the bottom of the shifter. I ran a four speed shifter on my HQ when i had it, but this was over 20 years ago so i cant remember exactly how i did it. Impala used to make a floor shift for the three speed box back in the day too.

Maxx1

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Thanks for all the replys,sorry,its kinda hard to explane,
but there picture in the link below is what I dont want.

AccCentre601478.jpg

Going by the picture,I want to turn the gearbox so the the shifter where the linkages go to in the picture are at the top and am after a unit that will bolt straight onto of it so there are no linkages needed like in the picture,

Hope that make sense, please let me know if anyone knows of any unit that will do this.

Thanks

mrtdk59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series II Vacationer
You should think about talking to somebody with engineering knowledge
At least they could point out any potential dramas
Have a look in Yellow Pages or try a google search on you PC

Why not ask around speedway circles and see if any body has done it
My 2 cents worth not much help i know

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You will run into trouble laying the box on its side. Firstly the oil will run out the breather. Secondly the oil filler plug will be on the bottom so you will have to guess how much oil to put in and risk seizing it up if oil isnt getting into everything it should. Then there is a problem with your gearbox mount being on the drivers side instead of being on the bottom so you will have to make a custom mount and i am not sure if the gearbox will bolt up to the bellhousing if you turn the gearbox 90 degrees.
It will be a lot cheaper and easier to just put a floor shift in it.

Maxx1

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
thanks

I'v asked alot of the stockcar drivers and there have been running them on the side for years now with no problems at all and they run a 51 ford prefect shifter which bolts on,but there are very little 51 ford prefects around anymore and am having alot of trouble finding one,thats why I was wondering if there is anything else.

I cant run the standard floor shifter with the linkages becouse of the hits the cars get they break or bend and have touble shiffing, with the setup with the ford prefect it has been a very good sucsess.