Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HQ Monaro Ideas

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Alright.

Dad's got a NICE old HQ Monaro, with a 308 worked with heads, cam, and .040" over.

He's bored of the power :p

He wants to go more, and he was considering a blower.

Now what are your guys opinions...

I'm trying to talk dad into doing some sort of conversion, maybe a nice LS1 conversion :p

He said he might do it, if there's one you can do that's not going to be a complete pain in the backside, so is there any you can think of?

...and dad may wanna work it later on too (Eg. If he gets an LS1, I'll probably convince him to put in a nice agressive cam in it too)

GUN346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Hey mate, everyone is doind ls1 conversion these days, if it was me i would go a 355 stroker or just go a side mount supercharged blow through set up on the motor thats in it now, it would be sick seeing an old hq with a front mount also lol

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
problem also is that everyone is ruining the originality of the old work horses. why dont u put the fastest v6 engine in australia from your vn into it

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
problem also is that everyone is ruining the originality of the old work horses. why dont u put the fastest v6 engine in australia from your vn into it

...and then we can run it on the **** that comes out of your mouth?

Hey mate, everyone is doind ls1 conversion these days, if it was me i would go a 355 stroker or just go a side mount supercharged blow through set up on the motor thats in it now, it would be sick seeing an old hq with a front mount also lol

Yeah...but not an LS1 conversion in an older HQ. He's considering putting a blower onto it, but won't it be a bit more difficult being carby fed instead of injected?

Have you got any links to really good, efficient kits? Remember, it's got a cam in it as it is.

He was also considering doing a blown 327 in it.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Do up the 308 they can produce some decent grunt..Nice to keep it original..

GUN346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Yeah...but not an LS1 conversion in an older HQ. He's considering putting a blower onto it, but won't it be a bit more difficult being carby fed instead of injected?

Have you got any links to really good, efficient kits? Remember, it's got a cam in it as it is.

He was also considering doing a blown 327 in it.[/QUOTE]

You can keep it carby fed, thats why its called a blow through set up, you can just use a vortech supercharger with a custom pipe going onto the carby, just the some as the old supercharger but sits on the side.

I will see if i can find a pic of the set up.

The blown 327 would be nice, but does he want to cruise around in it or just a weekender?
Cause the cops love s##t out the bonnet lol

GUN346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Found some pics of the blow through set up,

Probably not as agressive as this one but you dont need a supercharger that big
F2.jpg

This one is with a turbo and its a ford engine but same set up
P1000782.jpg

This one is in a camaro, better looking set up
camaro_motor_203190851.jpg

Hope that helps mate, capa and Haddad racing do the set ups

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
go 350 chev and if you want some more power stroke it 383 you cant beat the chev if i had the money my sle would be a 350

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
I was speaking to greeny last night. He suggested to just drop a 350Chev in with vortech heads and a cam. Good for pretty much 400hp.