Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HQ Questions

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
Hey all just wondering how easy it would be to drop in a 350 chev into a 1972 HQ, would it be a straight swap or is there some modifying that needs to be done.
On that note what would be the biggest engine you could fit in there without to much modifying.

Thanks

D

Damian_w42

a 400 is the biggest iv seen it was in a monaro and a 350 will drop in not a prob as thay cum out whif a 350

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
to drop a sbc into a hq, starter motor is oposite side of engine, if yours is already a v8 may need a different tranny depends on what you have, exhaust manifolds are different, and you will need a radiator ro suit as inleys are on opposite side. and as for the biggest motor you can fit its possible to get a bb 454 in there, they fit and take up a bit more room.

Jimma

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY99 WRX
Mate plenty of big blocks fit in there. My neighbour accross the road has a 454, but I've seen one with a 502HO and I'm sure there's plenty of other BBC HQ's out there. Go with a small block though - a 350 would be beaut.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Seen lots of big block HQ's I might have a picture of one in fact :)?
A 454 fits fairly easily, I have a old HQ 253 in the paddock I can just sit in the engine bay beside the motor and work on it if I want :p

edit: found some pictures of some hq's -hj's at a car show but no engine bay pics of those, a couple did run 454's though :), found a picture of what I think is a 454 in a LH Torana

P

paul kafka

The car I regret selling more than any other I've had is a HQ GTS 4 door. The car came out of the factory with a chev 350 and originally a Munzy (sp) box. The guy that owned it before me had it converted to Ford top loader 4 speed and Ford 9 inch diff. Was an absolute powerhouse of a car. You won't have any problems dropping just about any Chev small block. Big blocks fit fine with a little work.

R

racerphill

I've swapped a 350 Chev into a HJ before (pretty much the same as a HQ) and it's pretty easy.
You can buy the engine mount adaptors and as already mentioned, you need to sort out all the fiddly little things like starter motor, power steering pump and alternator being on different sides, but that's part of the fun.
Also as previously stated, you may have to change gearboxes (or bellhousing) and of course the exhaust manifolds will have to suit as well.
Have fun!
Phill

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Pretty straight forward for a 350 implant. HQ- HXs have heaps of room even for the 454 as has been mentioned.
Years ago (I'm oldish) my brother, two mates and I swapped a 350, with a Turbo 400, between an HJ, LX and an HQ ute over a weekend at my mates farm to see which would be easiest. All were an easy fit, with the engine mounts from a 350 HQ, with only the LX being a bit fiddly due to less room to move.
Just a good weekend of drinks and pointless fun. Left it in the ute as it was the only one licensed and we had a tailshaft and exhaust that fitted.