Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hq

reggie_c2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 vs 2 clubsport
hey guys im looking at re doing a hq sedan and i mean re doing the complete car such as paint interior and engine. what do i need to consider when doing this sort of project? ive been looking at a 350 chev crate engine for 3200 but also i know that i need a gearbox diff and bits n pieces. but most importantly what should be done first and what should be done last to get the best job done possible?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
mmm, its a big job, from what ive experienced with doing a HQ 1tonner for my SISTER, lol and half way through a VH sedan, looking at a blown 308, hopefully 350!

be prepared to spend some cash $$$$$

this is the order i would do it in if i was to start again now..

basically get all your body work sorted out, if your doing it yourself - bitch of a job, involves lots of sanding lol, id probly just pay a good panelbeater to do it, if i had the cash, if not its totally do-able, get all the prep work done and into primer than if your going 2pac paint, look to hire a booth, the dollars spent here will pay off in the end, no bugs or dirt in the clear coat!

then look at either the engine / driveline side of things, its not just the motor you would need to consider, wiring, gearbox, clutch/torque converter, tailshaft, diff, brakes, suspension, radiator, i know i wouldnt be spending money on a crate engine without knowing the rest of the deal is going hold up to the stress of the new power..

and then get it assembled being careful around the body work, alternatively you can do it in the reverse order, do paint last, i just found it makes the engine bay alot easier to do with nothing in it.. and i havent scratched any of the paint on the outside of the car, but still need to paint the engine bay, prick!!

save the interior till last itl save having to pull it in and out while you do the rest of the body work, its heaps of work, and time, but in the end itl be worth it!!

any smaller details i can help you with just ask! hope this has enlightened you a little bit!!

take it easy bud..

aaron.blake

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman
ive got an hq ute if your interested??? selling it for like 500 to 1000 its got a 202 has all parts for resto pm me if your interested

Ray-915

Squid
Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 HSV VZ R8 Clubsport M6/LS2
I would have to agree with zeussy. When i built an old '71 HQ Coupe i had a few years ago i prity much just sat down and made a plan in what engine driveline combo i wanted right thru to what colour the paint and interior thatd work together etc etc. Then i just stripped everthing out of the car, engine the lot. And started taken the body back to bare metal. Once the paint was done new rubbers n windows were installed and then engine gearbox suspension etc went in. I then went about getting all the little things on the outside done like window trims badges grill bumper bars etc on, then the interior went in. Oh and never set a date for it to be finished or u will be disapointed as theres always something that doesnt go to plan lol

One important thing is to get as many little containers as possible (eg. fish food containers) to put all the nuts and bolts and any little important parts goin back into the car in these containers! this will save u much greef in locating these small items when putting everthing back together as projects like these are not short term for the average wage bloke. oh and i forgot to mention, make sure u label the containers eg. L/H front gaurd bolts

well i dont know if that helped but good luck with the project!

Growler88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6
One important thing is to get as many little containers as possible (eg. fish food containers) to put all the nuts and bolts and any little important parts goin back into the car in these containers! this will save u much greef in locating these small items when putting everthing back together as projects like these are not short term for the average wage bloke. oh and i forgot to mention, make sure u label the containers eg. L/H front gaurd bolts

theres also the option of zip lock bags (labelled and stored away in a corner ready to be used again) or one of those flashy segregated boxes, incase u dont like fish or chinese :p

but yeash... planning planning planning is what it takes for any successful build. even if you spend a few weeks going through everything it WILL be time well spent. and go through every last nut and bolt and plan it out.. also.. if u find any rusted, crappy bits that will need replacing, write them down and get them sorted early, like when your waiting for things to arrive or other jobs to be sorted. nothing more painful then spending weeks and weeks trying to get together and find all those little old U/S tid bits u forgot u needed to get.

plan everything though, for what its worth get a book, note down everything, and in the order in which you plan to do it and stick to it, basically write yourself a comprehensive guide and stick to it. and build what you want, how you want it. you wont go wrong :yeah:

Also.. most noticably. DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES! all the (stock) wiring that runs from the firewall forwards unbolts at a connector down near the outside of the footwell.. i made this mistake whilst doing a stato conversion on my tonner.. it worked.. though was terribly dodgey. all of it pulls out and unbolts, unclips and will come out neatly. which is imperitive unless you plan to put fresh wires throughout (which wouldnt be a bad idea in an old q banger) but keeping the harneses intact saves just that little bit of headaches later on down the track.