Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV 185i Tune with old style LPG system?

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Hi guys, new here (please don't fire up :emb:)

Wondering if you can tell me, is it possible to run the HSV VS 185i tune on a standard 5.0L which has LPG fitted. I have sorted out the VATS issue so really just comes down to will the thing actually run without backfiring and blowing the throttle body (I know it can happen even on the stock map, but feeding more LPG obviously has me cautious).

It isn't injected LPG, it's fed via the carburettor (at least that's the name I know for it) into the intake. I have searched to try and find someone else who has a VR / VS HSV 185i model with this type of LPG setup installed. The best I could find was someone wrecking an engine and it came with a box full of parts, one of the parts was an LPG carby.

I will be a few years away from having the 3k+ needed to swap over to the injected LPG, so am wondering if I could potentially get away with a tune while running the old setup.

Anyone here ever seen a 185i clubby on the old LPG setups?

Any advice is appreciated.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Welcome to the forum!

Tbh, it won't make any noticeable difference on gas. You can run lpg on pretty much anything anyway. Spark mapping will be the only thing that will change (maybe for better or worse) when you're on lpg with a mixer system.

You'll get a bigger gain from removing the mixer in the intake as they're usually quite restrictive (although there are a few exceptions). Post a pic of the mixer, or even just the model number

You shouldn't be having any issues with backfiring. If you convert it to gas(I'm assuming it's not on gas already?), replace the plugs and leads, ensure you don't have any vacuum leaks and that it isn't running lean.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Hi EYY,

I've already got a gas mixer system installed, it runs via a piggyback style system off the stock ECU, so it's nowhere near as advanced as the injected LPG, which has it's own ECU.

I already use LPG plugs and leads, it's had the distributor and coil replaced recently too. The main thing I guess is that it doesn't advance the timing to a point where it's more likely to backfire. Was planning to get a single dyno fuel check from someone experienced with LPG to see whether its running lean or rich before starting, can anyone detect this via a dyno readout even if they aren't experienced with LPG, is there a difference in emissions that would require a dyno tuner who has experience with LPG?

Never taken a look at the mixer in the intake, just had a look now and yeah, it looks like it restricts about 30% of the air coming in with the size it is. Is there performance style mixers that can be added which don't use up so much space in the intake?

The ECU looks like it sits just inside the kick panel of the passenger side? If that's the case I guess I could swap over the ECU's for a trial, if it becomes undrivable on LPG I can always swap the stock one back in again :)

Thanks for your help so far :)

Last edited: