Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Good Evening All

I'm currently in the market for VF HSV as of many years of saving I finally want to get a HSV . Now the thing is me having no experience on been on the hunt for a really desirable car on the top end of the price range, I have no idea what the real differences is between the HSV Clubsport or a GTSR as these are the 2 models I'm tossing up between and even considering an SSV Redline. and real hardest problem I'm having is deciding whether manual or auto transmission . cause I'm about 50/50 on both for having the luxury of an auto trans or really getting down and dirty with the car with stick . and mind you I'm not purchasing one for it just to sit around and gather dust.

Cheers

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
Welcome @perkz . The transmission best for you depends most on your plans with the car. I've had two VF's one of each trans. and both are fantastic. If it will see a lot of traffic, or drag strip action, the auto may be a good choice. If you're more into the twisties, and enjoy the full driving experience and driver engagement with the car, then the manual is hard to beat. Either way, good luck in your search, and enjoy the rewards of your hunt when it happens.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Test drive both, then make up your mind!
I think this is as true as for the Clubsport vs GTS(-R) question as well.

Regarding the comparison between the two, outside of drive-feel (which is probably the most important), Red Book should have the main items of interest covered, so you could compare using Red Book.

I think it's mostly about bigger brakes, a bit more go, slightly more exxy wheels & interior trim, by 2017 at least.

But if you go back to earlier models, the Clubby didn't get the LSA until Gen-F2 - that's a big difference (and was a big price hike!). A lot of other things in earlier models too. So it really depends on what year Clubby you're comparing. Equipment in/on the GTS (and -R which was really just a few nice-to-have trinkets if we're honest) didn't change that much over Gen-F & Gen-F2 ... the latest are the best equipped, though.

Last edited:

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Been looking at a couple Clubsports between 15-17 more leaning towards an Gen-F2 models if I'm to be honest . but since it is a big purchase I do really want to get my moneys worth

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Been looking at a couple Clubsports between 15-17 more leaning towards an Gen-F2 models if I'm to be honest . but since it is a big purchase I do really want to get my moneys worth

Also check out insurance rates...

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Also check out insurance rates...

This, the jump from SS Redline to even my GenF Clubsport (same engine) was quite big when I bought mine.

As above, go for a test drive, I didn't like the auto, not enough connection to driving it for my liking.
GTS-R has quite a snazzy bodykit compared to the clubby/GTS, and was more limited than the GTS? My knowledge of the runout models is poor, as I wasn't looking quite that expensive!

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
This, the jump from SS Redline to even my GenF Clubsport (same engine) was quite big when I bought mine.

As above, go for a test drive, I didn't like the auto, not enough connection to driving it for my liking.
GTS-R has quite a snazzy bodykit compared to the clubby/GTS, and was more limited than the GTS? My knowledge of the runout models is poor, as I wasn't looking quite that expensive!
Was there quite a delay in response when putting the foot down with the auto?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The step up from your VT to a Clubbie or a GTS or whatever flavour is going to sting your rump for insurance. They are performance cars (and by now, thoroghly well used by their target market, enthusiasts after a rush) and insurers regard them as high risk; I see P platers driving these beasts and it amazes me they think they are above destruction. Many insurers in Australia are under the Suncorp umbrella, and finding a discount or something that seems fair, could be challenging. The simple takeaway is that the insurance will not be cheap and cheerful like much earlier Commodores. It's the price you pay for dipping your toes in a bucket of thrills.

I would sugggest getting a Vehicle Accident History Report before committing any payment to ensure there is nothing that hasn't been disclosed.

A test drive, a very long test drive of each car in the environments you will see most commonly, will be informative. Electronic throttles in autos will always have a brief 'pause'. Dunno about those two models you are eyeing off, but in my VF a short, sharp push (and just that) on sweeping corners brings up performance mode, and that is quite sufficient for a white-knuckle ride around the alpine environment's twisters and big dippers (eg. Bright to Omeo via Hotham; don't even try it on the road from Mount Beauty to Falls Creek!!)