Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Was there quite a delay in response when putting the foot down with the auto?

To be honest, I was probably a bit halfhearted in my test drive with the auto, just a bit of pootling about and some double lane stuff. I learned in a manual in the UK, so for me that's the normal way to drive, and so I was really only looking at them.

I think the auto is quite highly rated, but that layer of interaction and the ultimate control of a manual is key for me. An auto will always have the potential to do something unexpected, whereas a manual will stay in 3rd unless I say otherwise! Plus the joy of a perfect shift :cool: Pedals are terrible for heel and toe though

EDIT: The other thing to think about is the market is quite inflated right now, see other threads on here. Obviously no-one can predict the future but it would be short odds on most prices coming back down again over the next year.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
To be honest, I was probably a bit halfhearted in my test drive with the auto, just a bit of pootling about and some double lane stuff. I learned in a manual in the UK, so for me that's the normal way to drive, and so I was really only looking at them.
If I may add the applicable GST upon 2c's worth on the VF 'box, and note that I'm assuming the Redline's 'box behaves the same as an HSV's 'box (which may be an invalid assumption - but I kinda doubt it 'cos the control software & input sensors must surely be the same), they're perfectly fine in the manner of a traditional automatic gearbox. In that they don't do silly flaring stuff, if you want to drive in a way that involves a lot of go-pedal application they'll happily do what you want, they don't seem to be fragile.

But where, for me, they lack compared to smarter auto boxes (automated clutch manuals or smarter slushboxes) is in the "being in the right gear at the right time" behaviour. Of course normally you drive around the fact that as you slow brake, the Commodore 'box is in a numerically-higher gear than you'd need if you suddenly wanted to accelerate again, which leads to more hesitation than is needed when you want to take off again; but boxes like that 6spd ZF in the last of the Foulcans will drop a gear or two as you're braking & be in the right gear already when you want to accelerate again. Sometimes in traffic you don't want to floor the accelerator to speed up just a little, you just feather the pedal a bit; a smarter 'box will read the inputs & the road-speed & the current gear etc and might quietly drop back a gear to ease into that extra acceleration, whereas the Commodore stays in the current gear meaning you need to accelerate that bit harder & the car ends up overreacting.

It's a minor thing, and a lot of people either don't notice or don't care, like the difference in how the car feels when NOT at WOT between fuelling on 91 or fuelling on 98.

Agree on HSV prices being silly high at the moment though, and I'd be very surprised if they don't drop to a more normal depreciation curve in future. Even after Holden stopped making Monaros, they didn't drop back as much as Commodores but they also didn't jump to being 130% of new price when 3 years old. But there are $130 asks on LSA Clubbies in some places at the moment.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The step up from your VT to a Clubbie or a GTS or whatever flavour is going to sting your rump for insurance. They are performance cars (and by now, thoroghly well used by their target market, enthusiasts after a rush) and insurers regard them as high risk; I see P platers driving these beasts and it amazes me they think they are above destruction. Many insurers in Australia are under the Suncorp umbrella, and finding a discount or something that seems fair, could be challenging. The simple takeaway is that the insurance will not be cheap and cheerful like much earlier Commodores. It's the price you pay for dipping your toes in a bucket of thrills.

I would sugggest getting a Vehicle Accident History Report before committing any payment to ensure there is nothing that hasn't been disclosed.

A test drive, a very long test drive of each car in the environments you will see most commonly, will be informative. Electronic throttles in autos will always have a brief 'pause'. Dunno about those two models you are eyeing off, but in my VF a short, sharp push (and just that) on sweeping corners brings up performance mode, and that is quite sufficient for a white-knuckle ride around the alpine environment's twisters and big dippers (eg. Bright to Omeo via Hotham; don't even try it on the road from Mount Beauty to Falls Creek!!)

Definitely a big step up from a 3.8 ecotec. I drove my mates SSV from Melbourne to Seymour and couldn't stop help myself not giving it boot a bit up the freeway but it lacked the oomph of what I was expecting from an SS, until I got taken in quick spin in GTS (Which I didn't get to drive unfortunately ) and I was hanging on for dear life which further solidified me to save up and get one . We do the same roads . I love doing Bright through the tight back roads of Stanley to Beechworth than onto Albury then back Tawonga then through Mt Beauty over on back to bright .

Yeah I get it with the dread of how much did this cost me feeling . Like I love my VT we've had it in the family for nearly as long as I've been alive and its literally never been thrashed since I got it when I got my P's ( Which is hard to believe I know ) like I wouldn't be shy of daily driving it. but insurance is going to be a real kick on reality

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anything badged SS-V is quicker than any SS prior ... it's just that Holden did lots of good work with NVH and suspension design, so they're more stable & less scary & also quieter than they ever were in the past - meaning they don't feel as much of an Event, and you can be going a helluva lot faster than you think you are. :)

If your mate's car was a VE or VF1 then you might also consider looking at a VF2, should current HSV prices (or HSV insurance prices) kick your expectations in the gut too much. VF2 (LS3) has quite a bit more character from the engine than VF1 (L77), obviously not as much as an HSV & the actual performance difference (vs VF1) isn't that large, but the sound Holden engineered into the VF2's exhaust is glorious for a factory family car IMHO.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I love doing Bright through the tight back roads of Stanley to Beechworth than onto Albury then back Tawonga then through Mt Beauty over on back to bright .

Mm-hmm. I know those roads too. I was a bit further afield in the NE last week: true, in Bright initially, then far up to Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park along that thrilling downhill at Shelley and Koetong (convenient as pub stop...) and NE again out of Corryong along more twisting roads to Cudgewa (this is where I enjoy using the VF in manual mode with a tap up and nudge down). Return trip was via Lavington overnight, then Albury (sedately!), then south to Melbourne and finally Geelong. No stick needed get my wagoon trundling even with a campingl oad, just about knows the way home, but it's a pity that the freeways are limited to 110km/h. 130km/h in the NT (north of Alice Springs is quite something again, though nothing like the open/unlimited speed limit that was often taken to extremes by hoons years ago before the NT guv'nor pulled the plug...:confused:

A day trip from Melbourne to Seymour, all of 100km I think wouldn't show much, certainly not at 110km/h. Howzabouts you knock out friend with some beers, and convince him on a week-long road trip from Melbourne to Alice Springs. It's a bloody marvellous (if at times hypnosis-inducing) trip. Swap drivers either way. Guaranteed, 130% (along with that speed limit) it will be mighty impressive and memorable.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mm-hmm. I know those roads too. I was a bit further afield in the NE last week: true, in Bright initially, then far up to Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park along that thrilling downhill at Shelley and Koetong (convenient as pub stop...) and NE again out of Corryong along more twisting roads to Cudgewa (this is where I enjoy using the VF in manual mode with a tap up and nudge down). Return trip was via Lavington overnight, then Albury (sedately!), then south to Melbourne and finally Geelong. No stick needed get my wagoon trundling even with a campingl oad, just about knows the way home, but it's a pity that the freeways are limited to 110km/h. 130km/h in the NT (north of Alice Springs is quite something again, though nothing like the open/unlimited speed limit that was often taken to extremes by hoons years ago before the NT guv'nor pulled the plug...:confused:

A day trip from Melbourne to Seymour, all of 100km I think wouldn't show much, certainly not at 110km/h. Howzabouts you knock out friend with some beers, and convince him on a week-long road trip from Melbourne to Alice Springs. It's a bloody marvellous (if at times hypnosis-inducing) trip. Swap drivers either way. Guaranteed, 130% (along with that speed limit) it will be mighty impressive and memorable.

There are good roads out that way around the Alpine . When I took for a joust up to Seymour I went through Yea so I got a little feeling for corners and found I was right at home with the handling ( Maybe the magnetic suspension doing its thing) but always found myself creeping a bit over the limit really unintentional . like around Bonnie Doon I went into this corner doing 90-95 comfortably and only to look down while coming around and out of the corner doing 140 which it didn't feel like I was going that fast but really took me back cause it just hugged the line I took tight and cruised right through it . Same thing on the freeway it felt like the gearing was a bit hung it one spot until you gave it a good dig for it to drop and take off and once again found my self at speeds that would land me a free date a magistrate

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe the magnetic suspension doing its thing
As soon as I saw you'd said that, it occurred to me ... pretty sure Clubsport didn't get that (maybe it was an option?).

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Anything badged SS-V is quicker than any SS prior ... it's just that Holden did lots of good work with NVH and suspension design, so they're more stable & less scary & also quieter than they ever were in the past - meaning they don't feel as much of an Event, and you can be going a helluva lot faster than you think you are. :)

If your mate's car was a VE or VF1 then you might also consider looking at a VF2, should current HSV prices (or HSV insurance prices) kick your expectations in the gut too much. VF2 (LS3) has quite a bit more character from the engine than VF1 (L77), obviously not as much as an HSV & the actual performance difference (vs VF1) isn't that large, but the sound Holden engineered into the VF2's exhaust is glorious for a factory family car IMHO.

Defiantly had a couple of those moments driving the SSV . My mates car is 2015 I believe ( Don't quote me on it). its just wrapping me head around there are so many LS engines to choose from but the options become more slimmer the closer you get to 2017 . Honestly looking for the bang for buck like is the GTSR just a gimmick for collectors or actually differs from the pack making it really a whole different from a Clubbie -> SSV

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
This, the jump from SS Redline to even my GenF Clubsport (same engine) was quite big when I bought mine.

As above, go for a test drive, I didn't like the auto, not enough connection to driving it for my liking.
GTS-R has quite a snazzy bodykit compared to the clubby/GTS, and was more limited than the GTS? My knowledge of the runout models is poor, as I wasn't looking quite that expensive!

Coming from you experience going from an SSV - Clubby what was something right off the bat you notice was different?