Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
As soon as I saw you'd said that, it occurred to me ... pretty sure Clubsport didn't get that (maybe it was an option?).
it had a knob right below the gearstick . but the ride was smooth . the wasn't much body roll coming out of corners

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
it had a knob right below the gearstick . but the ride was smooth . the wasn't much body roll coming out of corners
Your mate's car was a GTS wasn't it? Yes they have the magnetic ride suspension for sure. I don't think the Clubsport does though (they definitely don't ALL have it for Gen-F & Gen-F2), and since you were comparing one to the other, I thought it was worth pointing out. I think the Clubsport uses a very similar (same?) controller to fiddle with other car settings, stuff like how aggressive the traction/stability-control is, it might fiddle with steering stiffness, I know they had a torque-vectoring LSD in the very late ones and that might be controllable/adjustable too.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Your mate's car was a GTS wasn't it? Yes they have the magnetic ride suspension for sure. I don't think the Clubsport does though (they definitely don't ALL have it for Gen-F & Gen-F2), and since you were comparing one to the other, I thought it was worth pointing out. I think the Clubsport uses a very similar (same?) controller to fiddle with other car settings, stuff like how aggressive the traction/stability-control is, it might fiddle with steering stiffness, I know they had a torque-vectoring LSD in the very late ones and that might be controllable/adjustable too.

My mates one I drove that had a knob under the gearstick was an SSV. I'm not hundred percent sure if it did have MRC but it was very smooth around corners with real minimal body roll feeling which felt great.

When my other mate took me in his GTS it also had the same knob in the same position.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
As soon as I saw you'd said that, it occurred to me ... pretty sure Clubsport didn't get that (maybe it was an option?).
You are right Forg, Clubsports dont have MRC, only Senators and GTS and above got it.
To the OP, there is a difference in the VF1 6ltr and vf2 (Gen F HSV) LS3 drive. I 'had' the clubsport with the SV pack in auto which I sold a few weeks back. Although the 6 speed auto is quite good, I would go for a manual if given the choice again, even if you have to go with the VF2 SSV.
Get the Redline if you go SSV route. Insurance is quite a bit dearer on HSVs vs the SS, so get a couple of quotes to compare before buying as well.
Any other specific questions on clubsport, happy to answer.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Any other specific questions on clubsport, happy to answer.

Thank you very much for replying .

Any things to look out for while inspecting a clubsport any things that would stick out that the owner cared/didn't care about there ride . Any major problems to look out for?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Any good insurance company's that fairly charge ? .

Shannon’s. $1700 a year for mine, agreed value of $120000. 42yo male with full NCB

Was there quite a delay in response when putting the foot down with the auto?

No, and you have paddle shift in most as well to speed things up

correct

OP, if you can, get an LSA model, you’ll regret it later on if you don’t. Nothing wrong with the LS3 ones but you may as well get the more powerful one if you can

happy to answer any specific questions you might have :)

Last edited:

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Thank you very much for replying .

Any things to look out for while inspecting a clubsport any things that would stick out that the owner cared/didn't care about there ride . Any major problems to look out for?
No problem. Just check the usual stuff like service history, it hasn't had any accidents, tyres are in good condition as they are expensive to replace etc.. Check out the brakes as they are an expensive item to replace as well. Do a PPSR check and get a mechanic inspection prior to purchase.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As above and check the interior as well. It has a lot of shiny bits which are prone to scratching. Also look at the condition of the base of the two front seats

They have large side bolsters and people clearly sit on them while entering/exiting rather than taking a bit of care to lift themselves ‘over’ them. The result is they get crushed and look terrible

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My mates one I drove that had a knob under the gearstick was an SSV. I'm not hundred percent sure if it did have MRC but it was very smooth around corners with real minimal body roll feeling which felt great.

When my other mate took me in his GTS it also had the same knob in the same position.
There's something unusual going on here ... no SS-V of any sort ever got MRC, or in fact, that knob.
The very last build special edition cars did, I can't remember if both of Director and Motorsport got it (at least one did), but you couldn't mistake either of those for an SS-V or SS-V Redline. And where that knob is in an HSV is a small pocket in almost all Holdens.
US market SS-V Redlines (actually Chevrolet SS's) had MRC. Your mate might have retrofitted it from another Commodore or HSV.
But ClubSports don't have MRC ... they do have the dial there though, it adjusts other stuff like traction control etc. And your mate may have fitted that controller to control the same stuff as in the Clubsport, too.

This all says you definitely have to test drive whatever you're considering buying, given your mate's SS-V isn't indicative of a normal SS-V (and isn't even necessarily any better than a stock VF2 SS-V Redline either).

There's been a LOT of info bouncing around this thread, the fact that equipment levels & mechanicals vary so much year-to-year probably makes it really hard to decide what you want. I don't think you can make this purchase decision based on specs, because the exact year-model you find for sale might not even have what you want fitted to it once you drive it.
I reckon your test-drive list needs to include (in no particular order):
  • VF2 SS-V Redline (I reckon currently ~$65k, insurance ~$1k/yr which I'm deriving from my $50k-insured VF1 costing us ~$650/yr)
  • Gen-F Clubsport (very similar to the above, insurance may be a bit more)
  • Gen-F2 Clubsport (I reckon around $100k, insurance ~$1600/yr based on tml678's cost)
  • Gen-F & Gen-F2 GTS (unsure on cost, will be from VF2 pricing for higher km's to more than Gen-F2 Clubsport)
  • A manual & an auto SS-V Redline or Gen-F Clubsport, to compare (I think this will let you decide whether you want manual or auto for either of these LS3-powered cars)
  • A manual & an auto in any Gen-F2 car or any GTS (as this will tell you whether you want a manual or auto in the LSA-engined cars)
In your search you might come across other alternatives which might suit ... eg. the HSV Senator, which was supposed to be their luxury car but is still very capable in terms of funs & fasts. :)

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
There's something unusual going on here ... no SS-V of any sort ever got MRC, or in fact, that knob.
The very last build special edition cars did, I can't remember if both of Director and Motorsport got it (at least one did), but you couldn't mistake either of those for an SS-V or SS-V Redline. And where that knob is in an HSV is a small pocket in almost all Holdens.
US market SS-V Redlines (actually Chevrolet SS's) had MRC. Your mate might have retrofitted it from another Commodore or HSV.
But ClubSports don't have MRC ... they do have the dial there though, it adjusts other stuff like traction control etc. And your mate may have fitted that controller to control the same stuff as in the Clubsport, too.

This all says you definitely have to test drive whatever you're considering buying, given your mate's SS-V isn't indicative of a normal SS-V (and isn't even necessarily any better than a stock VF2 SS-V Redline either).

Both Motorsport and Director got the dial for the Mag ride. I have it in my Director while my MY17 Redline does not have this function :eek: