Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV and their LHD/RHD Business

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I drive past their facility reasonably often and this toob is a real eye opener. If any company does a more comprehensive job then they deserve respect.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I drive past their facility reasonably often and this toob is a real eye opener. If any company does a more comprehensive job then they deserve respect.

I went on a tour there mid last year. Pretty cool place.

I still can't believe that the colorado's etc are delivered as complete cars, then the whole interior is removed and replaced. Similar story for the camaro's and silverado's and their RHD conversions. There must be a reason for it, but I thought it would surely be more time/cost effective to have them delivered to Aus as incomplete vehicles. Would save pulling half the car apart as soon as it arrives too.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I went on a tour there mid last year. Pretty cool place.

I still can't believe that the colorado's etc are delivered as complete cars, then the whole interior is removed and replaced. Similar story for the camaro's and silverado's and their RHD conversions. There must be a reason for it, but I thought it would surely be more time/cost effective to have them delivered to Aus as incomplete vehicles. Would save pulling half the car apart as soon as it arrives too.

Wonder if it has to do with compliance and the ability to import.
Would certainly have some reasoning behind it.
Maybe even as simple as not being able to take them off halfway along the production line, or maybe if its not a complete vehicle GM wherever the original vehicle is made doesn't get some bonus or subsidy?

Been out and past there a few times and its definitely quite a large place.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Then people bitch and moan why the cars are so expensive. Can't imagine they would be making much profit off them with the hours involved.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Went on a tour earlier in the year and certainly an impressive operation makes sense of the cost when you see all the man hours in the vehicles. The reason behind starting with complete vehicles is most production lines are not setup for producing 'incomplete' vehicles. Even when HSV were doing commodores they still started as complete vehicles. Interesting though Chevrolet are far more forthcoming with info in regards to the Dash/wiring etc data than the Ram trucks which apart from being more simple I think is why they get virtually new looms throughout.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
too many people don't realise just how much extra is put into a HSV, it's not just a sticker pack!