Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Brake/Tail Light not working

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by knighty92, Mar 11, 2019.

1. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    G'day guys. Just picked up a 07 HSV GTS. Found that the passenger tail light was flashing fast and the drivers side tail light brake light isn't working (but the parkers work on both). All the LEDs are working on both tail lights.

Ended up fitting 2 new Modules today and that fixed the passenger's side fast flash, but the brake light still isn't working on the drivers side.

I've checked the fuses in the engine bay, passenger kick panel and in the boot above the battery for anything broken relating to the brake light. All check out fine.

Anyone know if a patch harness would help or if the parkers and brake light run through the same fuse?

Anyone experienced anything similar? Would love some insight. I'm starting to think that it may be the tail light itself, seems like it's been repaired before.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    It was a known problem on early E series HSV sedans fitted with LED light assemblies.
    You might be up for a new R/H tail light. :(

3. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Thanks for the reply. Definitely sure that the brake light not activating is a known/common problem? I know the LED's blowing was very common, didn't see anything about the whole brake light not activating though.

4. lmoengnr

Members Ride:
    Its usually a total failure, at least yours is partially working.

5. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Hmmm. Interesting. I'll get a hold of Lytek and see if he can diagnose the issue and possibly fix it. Seems like the tail lights are becoming a bit scarce which is quite unfortunate..

6. lmoengnr

Members Ride:
    They are getting scarce, might need to contact some wreckers to find spares?
    You stated in the original post that it looked like the tail light had already been repaired?

7. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Yeah.. Found one here but he wanted 500 for 1 and it was the wrong plug (White instead of black) so i couldn't justify it when i had just put a new module in.
    Yeah, it had a 2018 sticker on the inside and looked like it had been resealed.

8. Kakodaemon

Kakodaemon Member

Members Ride:
    2011 E3 GTS
    Also on the later ones as I have had to replace 1 module on my E3 and now looks like the other one needs replacing now too :(
    Only seems to flash when it is hot though.o_O

There are places that might be able to fix it
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-HSV-...-GUARENTEED-/162256608145?hash=item25c73f5b91

9. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Thanks for the help. Yeah, they're really poorly designed. Considering the issues were known from the E1 and still happening with the E2's and 3's is just ridiculous.

I'm currently trying Lytek. He's a repairer here in SA, but if that doesn't work i'll try the link you posted for Jimmy. I've heard that he's who HSV dealers tell people to go to.

10. Kakodaemon

Kakodaemon Member

Members Ride:
    2011 E3 GTS
    Poorly designed and cheaply manufactured but i reckon they look pretty cool :)

He has a whole bunch of HSV stuff in his ebay store but I'm not sure if he is more expensive or cheaper than direct from HSV?

11. Xplaya

Xplaya Active Member

Members Ride:
    HSV
    Have you swapped the right tail light onto the left connector to see if its definitely the tail light and not the internal wiring on the car itself?

12. MrBags

MrBags Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z SERIES
    Jimmy is pricey but generally has the stock on hand and knows it. He is slightly negotiable for good old cash though. Go have a look at his place if you can, big $$ in parts sitting in that factory.

13. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Yeah, they really do, haha. I went to Holden the other day, they still have E1 stock available at $1200 for brand new. Very pricey, but kinda tempting for new, old stock.

Good suggestion, i was tempted but haven't had anyone around to hold that tail light and check.

I contacted him through Ebay, haven't gotten a response.

Lytek just came to my house and diagnosed the tail light; internal brake light fault of the housing. That hopefully means that the cars wiring is solid and the issue lies with the tail light itself. Seemed like a great guy, very professional and he's going to drop the repaired tail light off on Tuesday (48hr turn around).

14. Kakodaemon

Kakodaemon Member

Members Ride:
    2011 E3 GTS
    Thats pretty good service. If you don't mind me asking what did he charge you? His website says between $150 & $275.

Still cheaper than a new set of lights and home delivered :)

15. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Yeah, i am very pleased with how it's turning out. Unfortunately i can't fully answer that cause i haven't received the tail light back yet. But, i did give him my old modules (1 was fast flashing which he knew about and the other one is just old) so that may make the ending figure a bit less. The tail light itself did need to be resealed(but all would need to be after opening anyway), i don't believe any LED's were blown and the reflectors were fine too so i'm not expecting it to be overly expensive.

I'll post an update once it's been sorted tomorrow.

16. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    UPDATE:

Got the Tail light back, all is working perfect now!

Phaing explained to me that the previous repairer didn't seal them up properly, using an incorrect sealing adhesive which caused the tail light to suffer from water damage and found that the brake light connection was covered in some sort of paste which led it to corrode. Also looks like the LH one has been sealed the same way so i may have to get that one repaired eventually too.

Couldn't be happier with the outcome and service i received. Total cost came to $250 which is roughly what i expected. I think the driving back and forth put the price up a bit, but i'm happy with the quick turnaround (not having to wait on Auspost).

Definitely recommend Lytek Industries to anyone looking for a quality tail light repair or upgrade and will be using him in the future if an LED blows (inevitable) or i'm looking for an electronic repair/upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    VS_Pete and lmoengnr like this.
  17. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Thanks for the update mate

knighty92 likes this.
  18. Kakodaemon

Kakodaemon Member

Members Ride:
    2011 E3 GTS
    That is much better than having to buy a new set of lights and i reckon easier than having to pull the things apart and fix them yourself.
    Sounds like the previous owner may have had a shot at repairing them and stuffed it up.

19. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Yeah, a lot cheaper.
    Nah, the person who fixed them just didn't give enough attention to it. They had stickers which marked the date when they were both repaired on the outside of the housing behind it. Were both X/X/18, not sure of the exact dates.