Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Brake/Tail Light not working

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Have you swapped the right tail light onto the left connector to see if its definitely the tail light and not the internal wiring on the car itself?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Jimmy is pricey but generally has the stock on hand and knows it. He is slightly negotiable for good old cash though. Go have a look at his place if you can, big $$ in parts sitting in that factory.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Poorly designed and cheaply manufactured but i reckon they look pretty cool :)

He has a whole bunch of HSV stuff in his ebay store but I'm not sure if he is more expensive or cheaper than direct from HSV?

Yeah, they really do, haha. I went to Holden the other day, they still have E1 stock available at $1200 for brand new. Very pricey, but kinda tempting for new, old stock.

Have you swapped the right tail light onto the left connector to see if its definitely the tail light and not the internal wiring on the car itself?

Good suggestion, i was tempted but haven't had anyone around to hold that tail light and check.

Jimmy is pricey but generally has the stock on hand and knows it. He is slightly negotiable for good old cash though. Go have a look at his place if you can, big $$ in parts sitting in that factory.

I contacted him through Ebay, haven't gotten a response.

Lytek just came to my house and diagnosed the tail light; internal brake light fault of the housing. That hopefully means that the cars wiring is solid and the issue lies with the tail light itself. Seemed like a great guy, very professional and he's going to drop the repaired tail light off on Tuesday (48hr turn around).

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Lytek just came to my house and diagnosed the tail light; internal brake light fault of the housing. That hopefully means that the cars wiring is solid and the issue lies with the tail light itself. Seemed like a great guy, very professional and he's going to drop the repaired tail light off on Tuesday (48hr turn around).

Thats pretty good service. If you don't mind me asking what did he charge you? His website says between $150 & $275.

Still cheaper than a new set of lights and home delivered :)

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Thats pretty good service. If you don't mind me asking what did he charge you? His website says between $150 & $275.

Still cheaper than a new set of lights and home delivered :)

Yeah, i am very pleased with how it's turning out. Unfortunately i can't fully answer that cause i haven't received the tail light back yet. But, i did give him my old modules (1 was fast flashing which he knew about and the other one is just old) so that may make the ending figure a bit less. The tail light itself did need to be resealed(but all would need to be after opening anyway), i don't believe any LED's were blown and the reflectors were fine too so i'm not expecting it to be overly expensive.

I'll post an update once it's been sorted tomorrow.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
UPDATE:

Got the Tail light back, all is working perfect now!

Phaing explained to me that the previous repairer didn't seal them up properly, using an incorrect sealing adhesive which caused the tail light to suffer from water damage and found that the brake light connection was covered in some sort of paste which led it to corrode. Also looks like the LH one has been sealed the same way so i may have to get that one repaired eventually too.

Couldn't be happier with the outcome and service i received. Total cost came to $250 which is roughly what i expected. I think the driving back and forth put the price up a bit, but i'm happy with the quick turnaround (not having to wait on Auspost).

Definitely recommend Lytek Industries to anyone looking for a quality tail light repair or upgrade and will be using him in the future if an LED blows (inevitable) or i'm looking for an electronic repair/upgrade.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for the update mate

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
UPDATE:

Got the Tail light back, all is working perfect now!

Phaing explained to me that the previous repairer didn't seal them up properly, using an incorrect sealing adhesive which caused the tail light to suffer from water damage and found that the brake light connection was covered in some sort of paste which led it to corrode. Also looks like the LH one has been sealed the same way so i may have to get that one repaired eventually too.

Couldn't be happier with the outcome and service i received. Total cost came to $250 which is roughly what i expected. I think the driving back and forth put the price up a bit, but i'm happy with the quick turnaround (not having to wait on Auspost).

Definitely recommend Lytek Industries to anyone looking for a quality tail light repair or upgrade and will be using him in the future if an LED blows (inevitable) or i'm looking for an electronic repair/upgrade.

That is much better than having to buy a new set of lights and i reckon easier than having to pull the things apart and fix them yourself.
Sounds like the previous owner may have had a shot at repairing them and stuffed it up.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
That is much better than having to buy a new set of lights and i reckon easier than having to pull the things apart and fix them yourself.
Sounds like the previous owner may have had a shot at repairing them and stuffed it up.

Yeah, a lot cheaper.
Nah, the person who fixed them just didn't give enough attention to it. They had stickers which marked the date when they were both repaired on the outside of the housing behind it. Were both X/X/18, not sure of the exact dates.