Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Brake/Tail Light not working

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
G'day guys. Just picked up a 07 HSV GTS. Found that the passenger tail light was flashing fast and the drivers side tail light brake light isn't working (but the parkers work on both). All the LEDs are working on both tail lights.

Ended up fitting 2 new Modules today and that fixed the passenger's side fast flash, but the brake light still isn't working on the drivers side.

I've checked the fuses in the engine bay, passenger kick panel and in the boot above the battery for anything broken relating to the brake light. All check out fine.

Anyone know if a patch harness would help or if the parkers and brake light run through the same fuse?

Anyone experienced anything similar? Would love some insight. I'm starting to think that it may be the tail light itself, seems like it's been repaired before.

Thanks

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It was a known problem on early E series HSV sedans fitted with LED light assemblies.
You might be up for a new R/H tail light. :(

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
It was a known problem on early E series HSV sedans fitted with LED light assemblies.
You might be up for a new R/H tail light. :(

Thanks for the reply. Definitely sure that the brake light not activating is a known/common problem? I know the LED's blowing was very common, didn't see anything about the whole brake light not activating though.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply. Definitely sure that the brake light not activating is a known/common problem? I know the LED's blowing was very common, didn't see anything about the whole brake light not activating though.

Its usually a total failure, at least yours is partially working.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Its usually a total failure, at least yours is partially working.

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll get a hold of Lytek and see if he can diagnose the issue and possibly fix it. Seems like the tail lights are becoming a bit scarce which is quite unfortunate..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm. Interesting. I'll get a hold of Lytek and see if he can diagnose the issue and possibly fix it. Seems like the tail lights are becoming a bit scarce which is quite unfortunate..

They are getting scarce, might need to contact some wreckers to find spares?
You stated in the original post that it looked like the tail light had already been repaired?

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
They are getting scarce, might need to contact some wreckers to find spares?
You stated in the original post that it looked like the tail light had already been repaired?

Yeah.. Found one here but he wanted 500 for 1 and it was the wrong plug (White instead of black) so i couldn't justify it when i had just put a new module in.
Yeah, it had a 2018 sticker on the inside and looked like it had been resealed.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Also on the later ones as I have had to replace 1 module on my E3 and now looks like the other one needs replacing now too :(
Only seems to flash when it is hot though.o_O

There are places that might be able to fix it
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-HSV-...-GUARENTEED-/162256608145?hash=item25c73f5b91

Thanks for the help. Yeah, they're really poorly designed. Considering the issues were known from the E1 and still happening with the E2's and 3's is just ridiculous.

I'm currently trying Lytek. He's a repairer here in SA, but if that doesn't work i'll try the link you posted for Jimmy. I've heard that he's who HSV dealers tell people to go to.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Poorly designed and cheaply manufactured but i reckon they look pretty cool :)

He has a whole bunch of HSV stuff in his ebay store but I'm not sure if he is more expensive or cheaper than direct from HSV?