Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV CLUBSPORT R8 wheel won’t come off

Rizo’s R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8 2012
I have a slow leak and wanted to put spare on to get it fixed but it just won’t come off to be able to change it can anyone please help me??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try loosening off all the wheel nuts but leave them on a couple of turn, jack the car up but leave a little weight on the tyre (sitting on the ground), then grab the top of the tyre and try and move it in/out from under the guard. If it's real bad, take all the nuts off first and spray liberally down each stud with something like WD40, try removing the centre cap and do the same around the centre, leave for some time to soak and then try the above method again (with the wheel nuts back on a few turns).

Failing that, just take the whole car to a tyre shop and let them sort it out.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Take your frustrations out with a big rubber hammer. That will teach it not to be a recalcitrant
Then clean up the hub and the wheel bore, and spray with WD40/silicon when you replace the wheel.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
It's the centre locating area that grabs due to the differing metals -alloy and steel. Just work the tyre from each side. You'll see the alloy corrosion when (if) you get it off.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can park the car against a curb, loosen all wheelnuts (don't remove) then start the car and move the steering wheel left to right until it comes free. Otherwise loosening the wheelnuts and rocking the car side to side can also work. Don't like using hammers or kicking wheels when under a car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
With subborn wheels, I leave 2 or 3 wheel nuts on about 2 or 3 threads and using a nylon style hammer, with the wheel off the ground, belt the inside edge of the rim, whilst spinning the wheel...Sometimes it takes a bit, but persistancy pays off.

And for future reference, I clean up the hub and put grease all round it, before putting the wheel back on.....Saves the wheel sticking again

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Failing that, just take the whole car to a tyre shop and let them sort it out.

Just what I love doing.....Helps relieve tension from annoying customers....Take it out on a stubborn wheel :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Crack the wheelnuts then undo a few threads so that there is a gap....sit on your arse then kick wheel with both feet like kid chucking a tantrum untill it loosens up & wobbles against the wheelnuts.

*Not to be done wearing single pluggers,don't want them ruined so wear shoes!!!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Happened to my neighbors Camry. Very funny but I thought I would help so just gave the tyre a few good wacks with a mallet and the wheel jumped off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Happens to me quite a bit. Rears seem to stick most. The centre bore clogs up with dirt. More so for me due to dirt roads. Agree as above clean up the wheel and centre hub once you get it off and apply some grease. I have sometimes had to kick the tyre. The first time i had the issue it was a bastard, hammer and kicking didn't get it. I used a three jaw puller in the end which made light work of it.