Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Confirms Release of "Gen-F"

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
A Commodore is a Commodore. Upgrade the suspension, stick a big engine in it, add some nice leather and some stitching and stickers and its still a Commodore.
Not worth 95 grand and never will be. And no, I wasn't cross shopping anything at all, I was making a statement about resale value.

This is true, however people would still buy an SS and do similar mods and could end up costing just as much.. But by purchasing an HSV you get an engineered product that is guaranteed.

Your statement stands true For Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Except you pay more for a "premium" brand.

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
euro cars aren't worth the cash regardless of what any says,once you been working with them for a while you realise they're just expensive pieces of ****.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Was watching the TODAY show on Channel 9 over breakfast this morning - segment with Neil Mitchell commentary.
Interesting to see this make the morning show agenda.....albeit in a negative way.

New Supercharged HSV GTS

Basically - backlash against the new performance HSV

Waaaaay Too fast
Pointless car for today's day and age
3-4 years down the track - will be priced squarely at young bogan Hoon affordability
Do we really need / want these types of cars roaming our roads.
Sound familiar...echoes of the 70's super car scare campaign
How does that SKYHOOKS song go again...............
"I'm livin in the 70's"..........

Point is completely valid. It may make a bit more sense in say Germany with their de-restricted autobahn; in Australia with 110-130 limits I am scratching my head a bit. My 152kw VX is 100% fine for everyday driving. I can understand more power if you are towing very big things or doing motorsport though...that being said I wouldn't spend more than $50-60k on a car anyway. I'd just get a regular SS and use the rest for a couple of overseas trips.....

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
The targeed market will buy the 100k gts and go on the over seas trips.
It's funny how people are saying its just a commodore.
What does that mean exactly?
A merc is just a merc, a bmw is just a bmw.
These cars are shitty taxi's in Europe and are as cheap as the commodores to buy over their. Becouse we get ripped a new one with the euro cars doesn't make them any more special.

Its just a badge, rip the lion off it and stick a bmw badge on and every one would be wow'd by the cars specs/performance

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
A Commodore is a Commodore. Upgrade the suspension, stick a big engine in it, add some nice leather and some stitching and stickers and its still a Commodore.

I'll take that as a "NO" then :rofl:

Not worth 95 grand and never will be. And no, I wasn't cross shopping anything at all, I was making a statement about resale value.

Some might call the body kit that's on the car in your avatar a monstrosity and complete and utter waste of money. Meh - your $$$ do as you please. I'm sure others will do the same and continue to buy big $$$ Merc's, BMW's etc etc.

Point is completely valid. It may make a bit more sense in say Germany with their de-restricted autobahn; in Australia with 110-130 limits I am scratching my head a bit. My 152kw VX is 100% fine for everyday driving. I can understand more power if you are towing very big things or doing motorsport though...that being said I wouldn't spend more than $50-60k on a car anyway. I'd just get a regular SS and use the rest for a couple of overseas trips.....

My daily is putting out only slightly less than what the new GTS will have. It is far more enjoyable to drive than say a SSV let alone your povo v6 shitters. HSV do organise track days for their customers and plenty run them at organized events (not necessarily racing, just driving fast around a track). As a tow car, HSV's are not the best on earth. The AU 6 cyl ute at work tows better than my E3 but then again it was built for towing. Of course the 200 series smashes both of them for dragging things about.

These cars are shitty taxi's in Europe and are as cheap as the commodores to buy over their. Becouse we get ripped a new one with the euro cars doesn't make them any more special.

Its just a badge, rip the lion off it and stick a bmw badge on and every one would be wow'd by the cars specs/performance

Haha spot on. I'd suggest anybody who gets the chance to drive a HSV with MRC fitted back to back with a SS or SSV on some nice "drivers" roads. The difference is phenomenal. You can get better conventional spring/shock combos than the MRC but the cost is large and it certainly isn't OEM.

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
it's true what they say about hsv owners,they think they're better then everyone else reaper just proved that with his povo v6 shitter comment,not everyone has $80,000 to spend on a rapidly declining value car,essentially hsv is just a speced up povo bogans car ;P

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Lol at the guy who has obviously never driven a E series anything in anger :rofl:.

Assumption much?

I'll take that as a "NO" then :rofl:

Take it however you like. When I see video of you on a racetrack, 'driving a car in anger' then perhaps you can comment. Until then, if you are enjoying 'driving a car in anger' on public roads then you are just another hoon to me.

Some might call the body kit that's on the car in your avatar a monstrosity and complete and utter waste of money.

Probably. A lot of people like it too. And this is relevant in what way, apart from to make some puerile attempt at putting me down? I don't see how my personal tastes are your business at all. Reeks of your usual arrogance.

Meh - your $$$ do as you please. I'm sure others will do the same and continue to buy big $$$ Merc's, BMW's etc etc.

Both the Euro owners and myself will continue to spend our money in whatever way we please. We don't need your blessing, but thanks anyway :)

My daily is putting out only slightly less than what the new GTS will have.

My hero :bow:

It is far more enjoyable to drive than say a SSV let alone your povo v6 shitters.

I guess that depends on what you enjoy?

HSV do organise track days for their customers and plenty run them at organized events (not necessarily racing, just driving fast around a track).

Does 'plenty' include you? Or do you just mang it on public streets when you think the girls are watching and the cops aren't? Got any videos?

As a tow car, HSV's are not the best on earth. The AU 6 cyl ute at work tows better than my E3 but then again it was built for towing. Of course the 200 series smashes both of them for dragging things about.

Everyone has different needs from a car. Never driven a Ford ute, in fact its years since I have driven any kind of ute. My sister has a five year old Ford ute and she likes it I guess. Not my choice of car personally, but I don't put her down for owning it.

I have had to sell both my cruisers in recent times, and they were only 80 and 100 series. so I guess I lose your little competition there. The 100 in particular was a nice car though, though the 80 was much better offroad doing what it was designed to do. The 100 was more of a boulevard cruiser. Never driven a 200 series more than a few km's, so I cant comment. Seemed ok I guess.

As for spending a fortune on a tarted up Commodore, my Kia is pretty comfortable, reliable and economical. But whatever floats your boat I guess. My VS is destined for the drag strip, not comfort or practicality. The Kia seems to manage those pretty well.. doesn't have any brag value though.

Haha spot on. I'd suggest anybody who gets the chance to drive a HSV with MRC fitted back to back with a SS or SSV on some nice "drivers" roads. The difference is phenomenal. You can get better conventional spring/shock combos than the MRC but the cost is large and it certainly isn't OEM.

A shame that a 95 grand commodore doesn't come with 'better conventional spring/shock combos' as OEM then isn't it? I would want the best for that kind of cash.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Assumption much?

Take it however you like. When I see video of you on a racetrack, 'driving a car in anger' then perhaps you can comment. Until then, if you are enjoying 'driving a car in anger' on public roads then you are just another hoon to me.

The point is that you seem to be fine dissing a car with the it's only a Commodore but handles like **** (paraphrasing) line yet have *never* driven one. As for my one, nope, never raced it. Done a couple of track days but unfortunately it's not as often as I like. One thing I should have added is it is extremely nice to drive at legal road speeds when compared to most other large sedans, and even many smaller (supposedly) more nimble cars.

Probably. A lot of people like it too. And this is relevant in what way, apart from to make some puerile attempt at putting me down? I don't see how my personal tastes are your business at all. Reeks of your usual arrogance.

Both the Euro owners and myself will continue to spend our money in whatever way we please. We don't need your blessing, but thanks anyway

Therein is the point. You find it find to slag another car but am very sensitive when putting the shoe on the other foot.

Does 'plenty' include you? Or do you just mang it on public streets when you think the girls are watching and the cops aren't? Got any videos?

Never done a HSV day myself as the dates haven't been good. Have done a few other days though. I'm not really one for showing off to others and what's your obsession with viedeos???

Everyone has different needs from a car. Never driven a Ford ute, in fact its years since I have driven any kind of ute. My sister has a five year old Ford ute and she likes it I guess. Not my choice of car personally, but I don't put her down for owning it.

Neither would I. I'm not sure how you infer that I was :unsure:

As for spending a fortune on a tarted up Commodore, my Kia is pretty comfortable, reliable and economical. But whatever floats your boat I guess. My VS is destined for the drag strip, not comfort or practicality. The Kia seems to manage those pretty well.. doesn't have any brag value though.

The point is that you find it fine to **** on a car that you have neither driven, seen or even understand, as for what you drive, go for it, whatever floats your boat, enjoy.

A shame that a 95 grand commodore doesn't come with 'better conventional spring/shock combos' as OEM then isn't it? I would want the best for that kind of cash.

It does :bang:. GM actually license the MRC system to the likes of Ferrari and Porsche amongst others who use exactly the same hardware (calibrated differently to suilt the car). For multiple settings that go from touring (still a bit firmer than Fe2) to Track (rock hard) at the press of a button it's hard to beat. There are a couple of systems around however they are same same at best. When it comes to conventional systems you have to choose your ride. Sure it's a better shock in driving terms however it's always rock hard and too firm for most consumers on a road car, even a performance one.

it's true what they say about hsv owners,they think they're better then everyone else reaper just proved that with his povo v6 shitter comment,not everyone has $80,000 to spend on a rapidly declining value car,essentially hsv is just a speced up povo bogans car ;P

Sigh.... The distinction I was trying to make was how they drove. Probably should have phrased it better.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

If you can look beyond the performance or exterior design for a moment, there are tangible differences between Commodores and inflated price Euros. The big difference between a decent Euro and a Commodore, is the quality of the materials used, particularly in the interiors. You wouldn't find a low-rent, cheap cloth and hard plastic Omega style interior in a base Merc or Beemer. Look at the work put into the VF interior and you can see that Holden has identified one of its most glaring deficiencies in the VE design. The VE interior looks cheap and nasty in Omegas and really doesn't get much better as you go up the price range.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The point is that you seem to be fine dissing a car with the it's only a Commodore but handles like **** (paraphrasing) line yet have *never* driven one.

And you are defending a 95k car that you have *never* driven. Sure, the HSV is an improvement on an Omega, at least you would have to assume so, or why bother. You are still buying a Commodore though, it just has some add ons.

My point is that if you want a sports car, you need to buy a purpose designed sports car. You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. FWIW I actually like the VE, its an excellent car in any of its many forms, and despite the many comments you read in here, easily the best car Holden has ever made. I will happily include a HSV as a desirable car, I just question whether you get 3 times as good a car by paying 3 times as much for a HSV.

Your comments on handling are just plain pointless unless you actually take it onto the track, which by your comment to me 'have you ever driven one in anger' you certainly create the impression that you have. Hence the 'prove it, lets see a video'. Most modern cars handle sufficiently well to cope with everyday driving, even 'enthusiastic' driving. To exceed those capabilities you basically need to be on a track or breaking the law. OK, I was a little tongue in cheek when I said 'OMG here comes a corner, what do I do' but the bottom line is, with that kind of power you are getting sports car performance without a chassis designed to cope with such performance.

In relation to MRC, I said if I was spending 95 grand on a Commodore I would want the best.

It does :bang:. GM actually license the MRC system to the likes of Ferrari and Porsche amongst others who use exactly the same hardware (calibrated differently to suilt the car). For multiple settings that go from touring (still a bit firmer than Fe2) to Track (rock hard) at the press of a button it's hard to beat. There are a couple of systems around however they are same same at best. When it comes to conventional systems you have to choose your ride. Sure it's a better shock in driving terms however it's always rock hard and too firm for most consumers on a road car, even a performance one.

But this was your previous comment on MRC...

So this isn't true then?

I am not dissing the HSV at all. I am questioning whether you can improve ANY car from a basic platform to something that TRIPLES its price and still retains any kind of value for money. For that reason, I wouldn't buy one. Simple as that. You think Mercedes or BMW badges are too expensive. I think HSV stickers are too expensive.

I am actually looking forward to the Hyundai Genesis arriving TBO. I am not stuck on brands, and by all accounts its a good car. Of course I will drive one before I make the decision on whether to buy one. If you think the HSV is perfect for you, go for it.

You are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and we are both equally uninformed about the car in question because IT DOESN'T EXIST YET.

I can voice my opinions on how overpriced it appears to be, you can voice your opinions on how fantastic it is without it even existing yet. That's the wonderful thing about living in this country, we can all voice our opinions without getting arrested.