Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"HSV Enhanced Ecotec"

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I went rockers as i was able to fit them myself. Turns out that the extra lift unmasked a problem with the chain that wasn't noticeable with the stock rockers. Long-term sense it was best to go all out, fix leaks and replace bearings. Outcome was a sold reliable engine without oil leaks. Downside is it's still a V6...... I have a spare engine i could have stroked and I may one day but we'd be talking 4k build and it still wouldn't be a V8.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
I went rockers as i was able to fit them myself. Turns out that the extra lift unmasked a problem with the chain that wasn't noticeable with the stock rockers. Long-term sense it was best to go all out, fix leaks and replace bearings. Outcome was a sold reliable engine without oil leaks. Downside is it's still a V6...... I have a spare engine i could have stroked and I may one day but we'd be talking 4k build and it still wouldn't be a V8.
This is true it would just come down to if you were happy putting money into a v6 or you wanted a v8. I'm sticking with the stroker for now and see if i can get what i want out of it as it doesn't owe me anything really if it takes big dollars to get the power and strip times i want ill do a engine swap of some sort if i keep the ute. Most of the time its just bang for buck heaps of bolt ons for ls engines cheap and will make more power for less than a built v6 is all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Exactly, if bang for buck is wanted its V8 all the way. Mine goes really well and I don't need heaps of power. 3.45s and shift kit will probably be as far as i go now. That will help somewhat and for both I'd be under 1500. Slightly lower gears will give me some extra pulling power and will help economy. I'm always open to SC but finding a kit at the right price isn't easy. But even as is I have enough power, i don't feel the need to drag people at the lights, so again max HP is not something I'm aiming for.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Exactly, if bang for buck is wanted its V8 all the way. Mine goes really well and I don't need heaps of power. 3.45s and shift kit will probably be as far as i go now. That will help somewhat and for both I'd be under 1500. Slightly lower gears will give me some extra pulling power and will help economy. I'm always open to SC but finding a kit at the right price isn't easy. But even as is I have enough power, i don't feel the need to drag people at the lights, so again max HP is not something I'm aiming for.
If i ever work out a price for my t5 and all the conversion bits ill let you know if your still possibly wanting to go manual at some point i remember you saying in another thread. This is how you make power and torque on a v6 lol

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_201744.jpg
    IMG_20191005_201744.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I considered it, but have since fitted a stally. Be a lot of work changing my column over to manual. I really need the middle seat too as we have two teenager's that sometimes need to come along.