Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV favourite lives on

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Cubby said:
I bought a Monaro GT Coupe about a year ago. I was very happy with my purchase until I started dragging people. I smash other Commodores but whenever I go against a turbo they nearly ALWAYS beat me and too often they absolutely demolish me by like 5 cars. At first I thought, O.K I'm not used to driving it. But then after having it for a year now I can honestly say I can launch it as hard as it will go and I have beaten ohter GT Coupes aswell so I know I'm good. It's really pretty easy after you get the hang of it anyway cause after all, it is an auto. But I'm giving serious thought to selling it now and getting something that'll actually be UNBEATABLE! I've put on aftermarket **** on my GT aswell [too much to mention] and I still get hammered by turbos [not all!! But the one's that are worked hard smash me]. I am seriously thinking of changing my religion. I have loved Holdens all my life but now I'm starting to think they are nothing more than 'slow family cars' as my brother says.

My suggestion, cam, edit, OTRCAI and exhaust

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Cubby said:
I bought a Monaro GT Coupe about a year ago. I was very happy with my purchase until I started dragging people. I smash other Commodores but whenever I go against a turbo they nearly ALWAYS beat me and too often they absolutely demolish me by like 5 cars. At first I thought, O.K I'm not used to driving it. But then after having it for a year now I can honestly say I can launch it as hard as it will go and I have beaten ohter GT Coupes aswell so I know I'm good. It's really pretty easy after you get the hang of it anyway cause after all, it is an auto. But I'm giving serious thought to selling it now and getting something that'll actually be UNBEATABLE! I've put on aftermarket **** on my GT aswell [too much to mention] and I still get hammered by turbos [not all!! But the one's that are worked hard smash me]. I am seriously thinking of changing my religion. I have loved Holdens all my life but now I'm starting to think they are nothing more than 'slow family cars' as my brother says.

What turbo's beat you??? What is your et? There is a definate knack to getting GenIII's off the line quickly. Too many revs and you get a heep of tyre smoke, too few and you get bogged down. Not a big margin to get it right.

Reaper

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i reckon if cubby wanted a car just to drag other guys, he shouldve taken a gto coupe over weighbridge first. is that all you bought the coupe for cubby? there are a lot of people on this forum who would give their right leg to own one, so instead of bringing up its bad points, what does it do well?

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Cubby said:
But if I get beaten then I'll have wasted all that money. :hit: I'm starting to think I should look at an NSX Turbo or something like that. I don't wanna spend anymore money on this so called 'fast car'. I want a FAST car :ranting: . I know I'm bitchin' but you would be too if u'd spent as much dough as me and then realise it was a waste of money.

Just go out and buy a Mclaren F1 and be done with it

If you only bought the car to drag race it then you should have bought a bare bones model and stripped out the radio, speakers, carpet etc.

Then if turbos are beating you, twin turbo your vehicle, tub it, fit the fattest rubber you can etc etc.

People don't buy Monaros to have the fastest car on the street.

VR50ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 5.0 Ute
Cubby. If you just want off the line poke then buy a bike. my vr 5.0 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but it's fun, while my VTR1000 is 0-100 in just over 3sec.

Z

ZER0

im in love.... i want one. i think it would be more than fast enough for me

H

HSV1992

Cubby said:
But if I get beaten then I'll have wasted all that money. :hit: I'm starting to think I should look at an NSX Turbo or something like that. I don't wanna spend anymore money on this so called 'fast car'. I want a FAST car :ranting: . I know I'm bitchin' but you would be too if u'd spent as much dough as me and then realise it was a waste of money.

All I can say is "there's always a bigger fish".
Alot of turbo cars beat me on the street, but at the strip this is where the tables are turned!
Hero's don't race at the strip, coz there is alot of people watchin them.

Anyways supercharge the sucker and you'll kick their arse before they have any chance at blowin a head gasket :yeah:

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
well i got one win over a 200zx and i only got a 6 with cai and exhaust
i dont know if he backed of cause he was scared or what but its a win

D

daveatron

Cubby said:
juzza said:
Cubby - Why not go all out insane and turbocharge it? Lots and lots of work and money but you won't be beaten as often I can tell you that.

Forget the NSX, get a supra or gtr with twin TDO6-20g turbo's and you will smash anything on the street. as people have said monaro's aren't the kind of car you get if you only want to drag race, but then again throw a blower on it and mini tubs and it will go allright. At the end of the day power to weight ratio is what kills the holden. And most of the turbos beating you are probably 4wd and weigh less than 1400kg. :)