Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Headers and cats on a 08 VE SS

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

I am looking for definitive answer on a couple of questions:

1. Will the HSV Headers and cats bolt up to a VE SS(V) without any modification?
2. Could it be done at home with only jack stands?
3. I currently have a 2.5" XForce cat back which drones a bit, will fitting the HSV headers potentially fix this? (This is why I am doing it really)
4. Will there be a noticeable improvement in sound?
5. Is it worth changing the cats a 200 cell cat over standard and is it illegal to run a 200 cell cat?
6. Is a tune required? I have a the OzTrack remote tune package, so I would just need an updated tune if anything.

Thanks guys, dont really care about HP gain. I would just like to get a better sounding exhaust with less drone on the 2.5" XForce (ya I know they are cheap and nasty).

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi all, I am looking for a definitive answer.
Well unless someone has the same car, same budget, same expectations, same technical knowledge, most people will talk theory and bully you with bullshit all day long.
I have same car, possibly this mod's main protagonist, have the empirical knowledge to qualify my answer. Importantly I am not on any way trying to sell you on any thing, brand, or notion of tradition or accepted practice.
Given you are not after max hp or spending too much, and already have a good catback:

1. Will the HSV Headers and cats bolt up to a VE SS(V) without any modification?
Yes.

2. Could it be done at home with only jack stands?
Yes, but don't, spend $150 to get the local exhaust shop to do it. Two people, simple, but you can point blame if buggers up.

3. I currently have a 2.5" XForce cat back which drones a bit, will fitting the HSV headers potentially fix this? (This is why I am doing it really)
Makes it sound better, not fix. I have same 2.5" xforce catback and no drone by fitting J-pipes. Costs $150 for stainless pipes, about the same to fit as nice job.

4. Will there be a noticeable improvement in sound?
F. Oath. Check here and YouTube for ss ve Tri-y

5. Is it worth changing the cats a 200 cell cat over standard and is it illegal to run a 200 cell cat?
Not illegal. Value for money - no. Mod the cat opening and outlet 3" to flange . If money is no concern then hells yeah.

6. Is a tune required? I have a the OzTrack remote tune package, so I would just need an updated tune if anything.
No.

Thanks guys, dont really care about HP gain. I would just like to get a better sounding exhaust with less drone on the 2.5" XForce (ya I know they are cheap and nasty).
You'll get satisfaction. Good choice.

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey Pir4te,

Thanks heaps for that mate, exactly the answers I was looking for!

With regards to the J pipes, where abouts did you buy yours and are they made specifically for the XForce 2.5"?

I will get a quote from an exhaust place for fitting the HSV headers, mod the cat to have 3" inlet/outlet and fit the J pipes.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
With regards to the J pipes, where abouts did you buy yours and are they made specifically for the XForce 2.5"?
Did the research through Camaro and G8 forums (same engine/platform), had them fabricated at same time as cats. J-pipes (proper name helmholtz chamber) by themselves eliminate specific frequency drone inherent with these engines (116hz @ 1800 +/-300rpm) not muffle or deaden noise. So there are no J-pipes to fit mufflers per se, commercial ones like on ebay are straight through (no cans) and apparently sound great. But too fn loud IMO. One brand 'Solo' in the States sells with cans, but is a since for an old hand at exhaust shop to fabricate locally. Lookup j-pipe here on JC.
They attach to your existing axle back, usually on top of the muffler but you'll see it's tight at the sides of the xforce cans so go around each side of the spare wheel well, behind rear bumper trim.

I will get a quote from an exhaust place for fitting the HSV headers, mod the cat to have 3" inlet/outlet and fit the J pipes.
Say $550-600 well spent.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Interesting that you actually considered helmholtz chambers, most people dont even know what they are.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I have a VE GTS, so it has the HSV extractors and cats. Fitted 2.5" Xforce mild steel cat back some time back, and am more than happy with the sound, and no drone. Once the system beds in, it gets a little louder.
If you can get the HSV bits cheap enough, IMHO, a worthwhile mod.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
as above what pirate has said, I fitted hsv headers, 200 cats, j-pipes (no rear cans) and have the stock system for the remainder, sounds nice and deep no drone to speak of, fitted j-pipes first, nice note etc, then got headers (off forum member real cheap) had them fitted ($70 local exhaust shop) then couple weeks latter had them fit 200 cpi cats ($400 approx.) made it a lot deeper in note, had them put flanges in factory position so I can fit another exhaust when I find what I want

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks for the help guys, I think I will start by fitting the HSV headers and cats (stock) and then if the drone persists I will go highflow cats (3") and a J pipe.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
For the record, J-pipes are NOT Helmholtz chambers/resonators. You need to have an enclosed can with the tuning tube going from the exhaust flow into the chamber for it to be a Helmholtz chamber.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
For the record, J-pipes are NOT Helmholtz chambers/resonators. You need to have an enclosed can with the tuning tube going from the exhaust flow into the chamber for it to be a Helmholtz chamber.

Ok thanks, I use the term J-pipes as both G8 and Camaro forums call the tuned length helmholtz chambers J-pipes, presumably a yank colloquialism because of their shape?
Yes I meant that tuned length & capped helmholtz chambers will eliminate the drone.