Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hsv headers with 100cpi cats

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Hope it all works out fine mate alway's good if you can do your own stuff good on you.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
hey mate, i have HSV headers with 200 cell cats and my car goes just fine.at the end of the day its only a street car not a race car and if it goes how you like then all is good:)(thou 100 cell cats is a bit extreme)

Last edited:

thomasSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yeh thats exactly what I was thinking. Only a commodore not a track car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's like taking a piss with a raincoat on, then you drink more water only to take a bigger piss and find the raincoat still won't let anymore piss out. Open the raincoat and it is like fitting full length extractors, the flow is a lot better than with the raincoat closed.

If you are going to fit a cam and take the time to fit 100 cell cats, then change other components as well to make sure you are getting the full benefits of those parts.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
HSV headers seem to be a good, relatively low cost upgrade on the SS's... If you look at them side by side, the HSV design is far superior.

That's the way I went, but I wasn't looking for more power, I was trying to minimise drone. So far, after a few thousand km's, no drone... So happy with my choice. All that being said, I also got the HSV headers supplied & fitted for next to nothing, so it was a no brainer for me.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Put a decent set of headers & cats next to the HSV ones & then realise how restrictive they are.....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All that being said, I also got the HSV headers supplied & fitted for next to nothing, so it was a no brainer for me.

And that seems to be the deciding factor. Cost. Doing an upgrade with less effective parts because they are cheap is a false economy. Sure, they are probably better than the stock items, but the gain you get over stock items, is it really worth the time and effort to do?

Spending the money on true performance upgrades and getting the full benefit from the upgrade has to be worth more in the end than just replacing a part with one that is marginally better.

An example of the above line of thinking is my V8 Range Rover. There are extractors available for it, I contemplated fitting a set for performance. But on looking at the original manifolds and engine pipes, the gain from extractors is not really worth the effort. The original manifolds work quite well, and with the engine pipes on, they are pretty close to the 4-2-1 that the extractors would be anyway.

The same can be said for the HSV headers over the standard manifolds, yes, they are better, but only marginally. It's not really worth the effort ti fit them for the little performance gain you get.

On the other hand, if you weren't in a postition to be able to buy proper aftermarket extractors, then they are still better than stock.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Hsv dont seem to have the same opinion.they fit them to all their cars

thomasSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Allright spoke to three top tuners in Vic, all have had same setup on cammed cars. All made over 300rwkw and good torque curves. The way I see it is why spend and extra 800_900 on extractors retail when.1 there worth 500-600 trade and 2 hsv headers cost as little as 100 bucks and do the job nicely. Most of us drive on the road not track. Just my two bobs worth. Il let's ya know how I go when I fininsh camming mine. Hence the subject was started for...

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Most of us drive on the road not track.

So why change headers, cats & cam it?

Your arguement is invalid, Nobody cares what you're doing. We just told you that you've gone about it wrong.

And in regards to the tuners, Did you ring them?

*OH HAI DERE ARE DEZE GUIZ DAT ARE HATING ON M3 COZ DAY BE MAD J3LLY OF MY HSV HEADERZ BRAH*