Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV R8 oil pressure binnacle reads max on ignition

DOMIN80R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY R8
Oil pressure gauge shoots straight to the top on the binnacle gauge when ignition is on ever since active autos touched my car.
It was working perfectly before then.
Anyone have any ideas where i should look for the problem?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Oil pressure gauge shoots straight to the top on the binnacle gauge when ignition is on ever since active autos touched my car.
It was working perfectly before then.
Anyone have any ideas where i should look for the problem?
Take it back to them, and let 'em sort it out.

DOMIN80R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY R8
Take it back to them, and let 'em sort it out.

If only it was that easy, I had picked it up when I collected the car, they denied and tried to tell me it was like that when it came in. Bunch of bodgys thats for sure. Missing paperwork outta my car, and left filthy after it was professionally detailed before going into the shop and a 10 minute pre set tune... been discouraging ppl from this place since.
anyway,
Still doesnt help my problem though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It would help to know what they actually did to car?

Basically sounds like wire earthed/clipped or sensor crapped itself but doesn't mean jack shite if you don't know what they touched or actually did....your guess is as good as ours tbh

DOMIN80R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY R8
It would help to know what they actually did to car?

Basically sounds like wire earthed/clipped or sensor crapped itself but doesn't mean jack shite if you don't know what they touched or actually did....your guess is as good as ours tbh

Had the cam replaced and new radiator

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You mean cam/lifters replaced so they've removed heads?

Manifold off check plug/wires at back where oil sensor located...may as well put new sensor in

DOMIN80R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY R8
UPDATE:

Today I replaced the oil pressure sensor at the back of the manifold with no success. plug, wires look all ok to me. What a bastard to get to.
I also popped out the gauge itself, cant seem to find a fault here either..:confused:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VY hsv oil gauge will read flat out if sender wire is open circuit, take the wire off the sender and put it straight to a known good earth gauge should read zero, if it dosnt then there could be a brake in the wire, if it does then put sender wire to the body of the sender to make sure it is earthing properly if it goes full scale when on body of sender then its not earthing, or if u have the gauge out but plugged in just put earth to the sender pin and it should stay on zero if not then may be issue in gauge those gauges can over time have issues internally causing them to read full scale, also make sure earth to the gauge is still good also as that can cause said issue

DOMIN80R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY R8
Hmm just a thought..
Would the switch/sensor/sender or whatever it is next to the oil filter play any role?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the one above the filter looks like a silver cylinder is the sender for the gauge