Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV SENATOR 5000i

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The rocker covers & fuel rail covers were black but a previous owner painted over the black with a red metal flake.(Im going to paint them black again)

Yup, two bolt mains for you. 4-bolt motors had red rocker covers. (EDIT, no they didn't, I got that arse around, 4 bolt had black rocker covers) Not that it really matters though, the standard 2-bolt mains are still plenty tough, from what I've read the 4-bolt mains were implemented specifically for grpA racing where they were doing 7000+ rpm for sustained periods and cap walk was a potential problem. Not real likely a motor with a baby cam and banana manifold is gonna have that problem. :)

Last edited:

broderikb

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 HSV SENATOR 5000i
Just been googleing & found this, answers some Q's........

The VP Senator 5000i came out between June 1992 and September 1993 with a total build number of 166 including 30 5th Anniversary editions. The Senator was only available in only one colour, which was a soft purple metallic colour called Senator Quartz, however the 5th Anniversary models came out in Galaxy Blue. The 5000i motor was a 200kw Holden 5.0L, which came from the factory with red engine covers. The red motor had higher compression to 9.0:1, high performance cam, modified heads and special valve gear with roller rockers. Gearbox was a re-calibrated 4-speed auto and a 3.27:1 LSD was used. Wheels were 17x8" HSV five-spoke items wearing 235/45 series rubber. Options on the Senator 5000i included full leather trim, a high-output stereo with roof-mounted clock, CD stacker, phone and sunroof. The 5th Anniversary received a carpeted boot-lid, colour coded wheels and different trim embroided with the 5th Anniversary logo. The HSV numbers for the Senator Anniversary are 11-40 and the model code on the ID plates is 5.ANNIV or SEN5i for the Senator 5000i non-anniversary edition. Price of the non-anniversary was $58,450 while the 5th Anniversary edition was marginally more at $59,993.

broderikb

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 HSV SENATOR 5000i
Yup, two bolt mains for you. 4-bolt motors had red rocker covers. Not that it really matters though, the standard 2-bolt mains are still plenty tough, from what I've read the 4-bolt mains were implemented specifically for grpA racing where they were doing 7000+ rpm for sustained periods and cap walk was a potential problem. Not real likely a motor with a baby cam and banana manifold is gonna have that problem. :)

also found out while googleing that the GTS & Clubsport 5000i had the "BLACK" 200kw engine(4 bolt VK series) & the Senator 5000i had the "RED" 200kw engine(2 bolt VE Series).

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Could you post a pic of the roof mounted clock (assuming yours has it) as i was thinking about putting one in my car.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
also found out while googleing that the GTS & Clubsport 5000i had the "BLACK" 200kw engine(4 bolt VK series) & the Senator 5000i had the "RED" 200kw engine(2 bolt VE Series).

Yeah, an engine number starting with VE, is definitely a red (2-bolt) engine.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The rocker covers & fuel rail covers were red but a previous owner painted them black with a red metal flake.(Im going to paint them red again)

Ahaha, way to confuse me, posting the wrong colors then editing it back again. Doing that to a drunk man is just wrong. :p

broderikb

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 HSV SENATOR 5000i
Ahaha, way to confuse me, posting the wrong colors then editing it back again. Doing that to a drunk man is just wrong. :p

Just checked again & it is VE

Also, just spotted that there is a 4M above the engine number cast into the block, what does it mean?

broderikb

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 HSV SENATOR 5000i
Could you post a pic of the roof mounted clock (assuming yours has it) as i was thinking about putting one in my car.

Nah mate, no clock for me. I have seen a HSV VQ with one in it, looked good.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Ahh just realised it was only an option. I've seen a VQ Caprice's one, but i didn't know if they were different or not.

killarava2day

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL BT1...VL Group A SS
Does anyone reckon that early low build HSV's...VNs and VPs in good condition would be a collectable in 20 or so years time?