Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Shadow Chrome Process

blue_z26

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac GTO
Hi,

I currently have a set of HSV VZ R8 19" wheels in shadow chrome and I'm looking to have them refinished. I am located in the United States and its been difficult to locate a shop familiar with the shadow chrome paint process. I've been searching the Internet high and low to find real information on how the HSV/ROH wheels were originally painted, but cannot find a factual source. Does anyone have real experience with the factory HSV shadow chrome paint process? Is it a 3-step or 5-step process? Does it involve powder coating, paint or clear coating? Do the wheels get baked at any point in the process? Do paint codes (i.e. 1EJNB) exist for any of the steps?

Thank you for any info!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Sorry, I can't directly answer your question but if I were in your shoes, I would be speaking with panel shops familiar with the BMW M range of shadow chrome wheels that I am sue you also have in the States.

blue_z26

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac GTO
Sorry, I can't directly answer your question but if I were in your shoes, I would be speaking with panel shops familiar with the BMW M range of shadow chrome wheels that I am sue you also have in the States.
Thanks for your input dgp! I took your advice on the BMW wheels and contacted a few local shops that specialize in BMWs. Hopefully I will hear back soon on whether they are familiar with the shadow chrome finishing process.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So this may help or it may not, depending on it you want to use it for some testing or not.
I have spoken to the guys at HSV before in regards to another type of paint colour which was "Spirit Yellow", which is apparently the same process as that of "Shadow Chrome" but they use a different base.
When they originally did it, the base was powdercoated and then the top coat was put over that.
In shadow chrome they used a black base and the spirit yellow a yellow base. They didn't quite tell me what the top coat colour was though.

I was informed of a wheel/paint shop in Melbourne that they did say could to the shadow chrome paint repairs with it being the best idea to get all 4 done in 1 hit so there are no inconsistencies due to the process. cannot remember their name unfortunately.

hope that may help a little bit.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Good info about the layering drawnnite but the op is in the USA.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I have done a few sets of shadow chrome rims. what a panel shop will most likely do is re paint them with some custom brand let's say for example house of kolor.

The steps may vary brand to brand but generally the process is...

Paint the wheels black. this is the most important step as it sets the base for the whole job. the smoother your finish the more it's going to look like real chrome. too much peel or dust and it's gonna just look like cheap paint. some brands recommend doing clear over base black as the clear coat will give a nicer sheen. you do not sand the black before the next step.

Next you have to let then cure out properly. I mean the longer the better a week is good. then put a special chrome paint on that is usually straight out of the tin ready to spray (the expensive stuff) the idea of this stuff is it is transparent and still shows the black through but gives it that cromy look! it's important to get this stuff on even and slowly build it up each coat. not just slap it on. the reason it's important to let the black dry right out is because if the black is still slightly soft it will absorb the chrome paint and make it look grainy and fake.

Last is the clear coat and you have to make that look good for obvious reasons! one brand I used had a special clear to put on that made sure the chrome paint won't flake off the un scuffed black (apparently) then normal clear over the top.

I have painted some bbs Ferrari wheels shadow chrome and they came out looking really good (not to toot my own horn lol) but is a long process that takes time and care.

If I ever find an old photo of em I'll post then here.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Good info about the layering drawnnite but the op is in the USA.

Yeah I noticed that. But if people are keen then they will do what they need to contact people. Like when I was up at 5am to contact a bike shop in the USA :p

Also Waz, firstly great write up on the process.
Would you be able to ever work out the paint colours used by seeing the wheels and doing some scans?
Only ask as I am still needing some Yellow Spirit stuff done (same process as shadow chrome) which is a lot brighter of a silver finish then the shadow chrome, but that could always be because of the base?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
PM sent.
not easy to find a decent close up pic though :p