Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV VE Clubsport R8 - Battery Issues - Urgent Help Needed!!

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Hello,

This is Sam from Dubai. I own a Chevy CR8 2009 which is an HSV Clubsport R8 ls3 back here in Australia. The car has 74K on it till now. I've been facing battery problems. So here it goes:

Before around 4 months, I was driving normally down the road with around 20% battery charge left (Engineering Mode Info). I switched off the car, came back after 5 minutes and car is dead. I didn't pay much attention since I had it for a year and I bought it as a clean second hand car so I thought that the battery's age is reasonably over. I took it to the agency, they replaced the battery for $150 and all was fine. 3 months later, I noticed that the battery drains so fast to the point that it openned the battery saving mode and reached a very low charge percentage. I took it back to the agency where they said that the alternator is dead and needs to be replaced, an additional $1000 :hmmm: . Yesterday, the charge percentage was at 12%, drove it to work and came back to find it at 10%. I took for a drive today, and it went down to 5%. Still no alternator or battery signs on the dashboard.

Facts I noticed : My battery voltage is consistently fluctuating between 14.3 - 14.6 Volts nonstop. I check the lights every single time when I switch off the car as well as I have already disabled any auto approach lighting etc..
Modifications : XForce Varex Catback directly linked to the trunk. VCM MAF OTR.

I've tried to find solutions over this forum, but did not find any conclusive or relaxing answer. I also found out that this is a common issue in the VEs. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Regards,
Sam

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
14.3 - 14.6 Volts would indicate the alternator is working

i would be looking for parasitic drain on the battery

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea the ve can be anywhere from 12.8 - 15v when charging, check to see how many amps are being drawn when the car is off and locked might help pinpoint something...

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
If you are not locking your car this may be a problem as the circuit stays live and will draw current.
this also keeps interior lights on and they may not be switching off.
Also I had an issue with my door ajar switch not working and leaving my radio on.
I hope that helps.

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Thanks everyone for your kind responses. Car is always locked and no lights whatsoever are on after i leave the car. When i said my voltage was fluctuating between 14.3-14.6 all the time, I meant that it fluctuates so fast u can't even read the digit ( ie:14.X ) and it flickers too fast between them.
I just went down to check on my car, it switched on smoothly and i took it for a 2 min drive and the battery charge was 0% the whole time but no issues or errors on the dashboard. Maybe it could be the sensor itself or sth else?

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Thanks everyone for your kind responses. Car is always locked and no lights whatsoever are on after i leave the car. When i said my voltage was fluctuating between 14.3-14.6 all the time, I meant that it fluctuates so fast u can't even read the digit ( ie:14.X ) and it flickers too fast between them.
I just went down to check on my car, it switched on smoothly and i took it for a 2 min drive and the battery charge was 0% the whole time but no issues or errors on the dashboard. Maybe it could be the sensor itself or sth else?

find a multimeter.
test the voltage of the battery when the car is off
while at idle
and after 5min of being off

report these number back here.
usen a multi meter, dont rely on the dash numbers

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Hello,

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. Anyways, after facing the 0.0% Battery charge issue and being able to still drive it normally, I intended to take it to the agency for a free check up. I woke up the next day to find the charge back to 56%. After they had a look, they informed me that they found nothing wrong and had no idea what caused the 0.0% charge to appear. I went back home assured that it could be a sensor or a fuse thing which is not a big issue. Out of nowhere, I opened Engineering Mode again and I am back at 14-15% :D .. Kinda weird honestly :hmmm:

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hello,

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. Anyways, after facing the 0.0% Battery charge issue and being able to still drive it normally, I intended to take it to the agency for a free check up. I woke up the next day to find the charge back to 56%. After they had a look, they informed me that they found nothing wrong and had no idea what caused the 0.0% charge to appear. I went back home assured that it could be a sensor or a fuse thing which is not a big issue. Out of nowhere, I opened Engineering Mode again and I am back at 14-15% :D .. Kinda weird honestly :hmmm:

did you follow my steps using a multi meter?
its the only way to get reliable values