Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV VE Clubsport R8 Issues!! Help me PLEASE!! Any information is appreciated.

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Hello,

my name is Sam and this is my first post in this forum so please take it easy on me if i post in the wrong area or something :). I currently reside in Dubai and I drive a Chevrolet CR8 2009 equipped with an LS3 Engine and a 6-Auto Transmission which essentially an HSV VE Clubsport R8 E1 or a Pontiac G8 GXP. I recently took it to the dealer for full checkup and they sent me a quote for the repairs. In summary, they quoted me with around 3,000 Australian Dollars!!! Before I go into details about the issues and the needed repairs, my car has 72,000 KM on the clock and has been modified with an X-Force 3inch Catback and a Maf-less VCM OTR Intake. I barely race this car and I really take good care of it but it''s my daily car. Although I love cars, I am no expert when it comes to Technical stuff so I really require some help please. Kindly let me know how essential are the stuff below and briefly describe what is supposed to be done and if there is any better or cheaper alternative.So here it goes:

1) Oil Leakage which requires replacing the Engine Repan Gasket with a total cost of $1,000. Any Information here regarding how dangerous is that and if there another way to fix it than repair it?

2) Replacing Lower Arm Bushes due to Cracks (Including 2 Front Bushes) for $600.

3) Replacing Both Sides Strut Mount + Sheild Front Suspension + Mount Kit front Suspension for $600

4) Replacing Both Engine Mounts due to Cracks for $800

5) Alternator needs to be replaced which costs $900 although I changed it 2 months ago!

The funny thing is that I took the car from the service 2 months ago and they told me it was all well :).

I'm really desperate for any information and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Sam

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Any crack in the rubber OEM bushings and most mechanics will want to change them out. It's a good practise to ensure the cars safe.

Maybe the new alternator was a dud?

I wouldn't use OEM bushes either I'd look at nolathane, superpro etc brands and install a better aftermarket part.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes Sam you are being ripped off. Just take it to another workshop.
I just bought LS3 alternator, mounting bracket, LS3 water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulleys, tensioner and all bolts, gaskets, serpentine etc., for less than you were quoted for alt.
Nothing dangerous about an oil leak if you keep an eye on how much and where it leaks to, worse things happen at sea as I'm sure you know living in Dubai. First need to isolate the location re band aid repair advice.

I wouldn't use OEM bushes either I'd look at nolathane, superpro etc brands and install a better aftermarket part.

+1 SuperPro top mount bearing, you simply won't believe the difference.

Also you could address all the points in one hit taking motor out one day about half price. Personally if it ain't broke don't fix it.

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Thanks guys alot for your input. I am just wondering though,
1)do u know any place or retailer who sales and ships the OEM parts?
2) Do the Chevy CR8, HSV VE, and the pontiac g8 gxp have interchangeable parts so i can order from the states or australia?

Thanks.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Considering what's been quoted to do to your car have you actually noticed any issues that would relate to shot bushes, leaking oil or a dying alternator?
If not then they might just be making up problems that don't exist.
Perhaps you could Google what the symptoms of these things needing fixing feel like and compare to what your car is doing?

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
you need to get under the car and get dirty , visually inspect everything for yourself , if all these things really do need to be replaced its going to cost you alot of money unless you can do it yourself . try getting it inspected by a second or third mechanic and see what they say .

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
Actually, there is a rattling knows that comes from the front suspension as certain speeds and I haven't seen any leaking oil. Thanks, Appreciate your help.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Rattling is point 2 that needs fixing. Consider that as the issue when you take it to another shop and ask them to do a check for anything else while they replace the bushes. I'd be surprised if you get the same list of repairs.

pek1973

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Chevrolet CR8
Sam,

Just been through this as I have a cr8 in Dubai as wel .

Front control arms - buy from pace performance in the us and get the whole front kit (4 arms). If u wanna swap in poly bushes u can I left it alone

Strut mounts and engine mounts go with superpro, I did my strut mounts and they are awesom . Try mermaid suspension centre in Australia they can hook u up - kym got me my bilstein shocks for the car and the shock mounts. He did show me the engine mounts but didn't get them just yet.

Just had alternator done at all ghandi and it was a ripoff (3k aed) but had no choice as couldn't wait the week to have an alternator shipped from the US. Caprice ppv alternator is uprated to 170amps vs std 140 amp and is cheaper than buying the 140a locally (2.4k add) Again pace performance has the part and would be around 1.8k aed landed.

I also just replaced all 4 shocks/springs and sway bar links. Springs and links bought from eBay and shipped i . Shocks I bought in Australia and carried them back.

Work was done by saluki motorsport who are about 4 doors up from all ghandi behind time square. British owners and know their stuff, not cheap but cheaper than all ghandi.

Pontiac g8, ve commodore and our chev lumina all the same car. Just be careful on build years. Most cr8 were hsv e1 built late 2008, but sold here in 2009/2010. Early cr8's had ls2's and most (if not all ) were manual as the 6l80e wasn't validated for middle east heat.

If ur going to all the trouble of the suspension do the wide mouth filter/deep pan conversion ( pace performance do the kit - aump, gaskwt, filter) for the auto that pir4te describes on this forum worth every cent/film - transmission shifts like new now and is much smoother. Byy the dexron vi from all ghandi parts in raw al khor - cheapest in dubai ( I have about 2 litres spare i can swing u cheap)

Pm me if u have any other question .
Paul

SirDimes23

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE Clubsport R8 LS3
I really appreciate your help guys.. You have really helped me a lot.. I have replaced the Alternator and fixed the Oil Leaking Issue. Forgive me for my many "noob" questions but as i mentioned earlier, I am no expert whatsoever when it comes to technical car matters. I still have those 3 issues:
a) 2 Front Lower Arm Bushes
b) Both Side Engine Mounts
c) Both Sides Struts Mounts ( Including the Strut Shield and the Mount Kit).

From your points, most of you recommended SuperPro items. Should the parts above be ordered as a kit in order to be fitted or as separate parts? Do they fit without any modifications to my car? Can I use the SuperPro front suspension parts although my rear suspension is the OEM? Last, do you recommend any place from Australia/USA in which I can order from?

Sorry for the lengthy questions :p
Cheers :)