Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV VZ Clubsport S2 Suspension Upgrade

RMBLBE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Clubsport MY06
Hi guys,

I've got a S2 VZ Clubby and the stock suspensions gone a bit saggy and I want to get them replaced with either a Coilover kit or Shock-Spring set-up, just not sure in what direction to head in? I've seen these Pedders Coilovers which look pretty interesting SportsRyder Supercar Adjustable Coil Over - Supercar Performance at your Fingertips! - Pedders Suspension wondering if anyones had these installed?

And for anyone who has upgraded, are there any specific brands you guys would recommend? I'm mostly looking for a 15-25mm drop in ride height and adjustable dampness/rebound? The car is in Fiji and its mostly driven on windy roads and it gets its fair share of hard driving.

Thanks in advance :)

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
If you welded in some 50mm square tube instead of springs, it would ride better than Pedders. I am not sure on adjustable shocks, I think Koni do some. King springs seem to be the normal choice of spring. Super lows would do what you want.
My daughter has a VZ Clubby, and she fitted KYB, and Kings, and it rides very good IMHO. But she doesnt race it, so you may want something different.
Whats the rules(if any) over there on fitting coil overs?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I would opt for a decent shock and spring combo. as Ian said Koni do adjustables and double adjustables. Coil Overs are money down the drain imo

RMBLBE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Clubsport MY06
Not too keen on KYB as the brand, haven't had good experiences with them before. I've heard of people using Bilstein B8's and King SL springs? Im not sure if the B8s come with a bolt on strut or if I'd need to modify the factory strut with a collar to hold in the shocks?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yep bilsteins and Kings will go fine together. The rear is just a straight bolt in job, the front is only an insert so its a factory strut with collar job like you said.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
KYB are not everyones cup of tea. I have used them for over 40 years on various cars, and offroad vehicles. IMHO they give a better ride than Monroe. I know there are better shocks out there, but they give me good results for the money.
Putting a set in my Soarer this week.

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
I used kyb shocks in my old Vt. much much better than Monroe IMO.

RMBLBE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Clubsport MY06
I spoke with the guys at heasman steering, he tried to explain to explain to me about the collar job but he wasnt very clear. Anyone know specifically whats involved in it?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Koni's are easier to fit to the front struts than are Bilstiens.
Konis are easily done at home with basic tools and a drill.
You cut off the original collar remove the innards, drill a 13mm hole in the bottom, slide in the Koni insert attach the bolt fit rubber collar to top and done.
With bilstiens (well the ones I have seen unless they have changed) you again cut off the old collar, remove the innards but then you have to "weld" a threaded collar to top to allow the bistien insert to be attached.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Correct bilsteins are a pain to fit, I seen my mechanic do it. Too him about 3 hours.

But I still have to rate the bilsteins a better shock then konis.