Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HT Monaro for sale

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
That protection order is one of the best things any Government could've done. Sadly so many others have all left our shores to sit in some front foyer of some International businessman's little haven as has the 1987 Bathurst #10 car.

Goodwood-FOS-2019-1760_01 - Copy.jpg

Just to support what I've suggested above,
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/09/famous-brock-car-a-crowd-favourite-at-goodwood/

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So by reading that article the 57D Sandown car became the 44D car at Bathurst a few weeks later and would've been driven by Bond and Roberts to Victory ? is this correct ? and if so why wasn't it marketed as a Bathurst winner which would make it even more desirable ?

Not sure.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I must admit it's all a bit confusing as below is a photo of the 69 Bathurst winning car sporting another number on it's door being driven at Lakeside's ATCC event in 1970.

Seems that each event supplied new numbers to run under. I understand that the Bathurst event generally supplied sequential numbers for each class which weren't the regular numbers used during the ATCC. (Australian Touring Car Championship)

HDT entered 3 HT GTS 350 Monaro's in the 1969 event and all 3 finished, respectfully 1st, 3rd and 6th place, but which car was which is all a bit up in the air it seems.

Bond_Monaro_1970_Graham_Ruckert.jpg

All in all I'm a tad surprised that the 57D car only fetched $715,000 when it was touted to realize over 1 million. From that I very much thought that at the end of lot 275 the car didn't actually sell because it didn't reach it's reserve of 1 million. I watched the auction, but without any sound so I didn't quite know what the true outcome was, also the internet page didn't actually say sold, or referred, just highest bid. Anyway I'm sure we'll get to know who actually bought the car as it can't leave the country and it's a pretty small world as far as collectible cars is concerned.

The question arises now, where are the other 2 cars ? I think one of them was owned by Peter Champion or was that a tribute car as many that Peter had were ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the plot thickens..............................

3084131.jpg

The bottom 3 lines seems to tell another story that the car was sold in late 1969 and left the HDT system and thus it couldn't be the same car as shown in the previous post as that car was at Lakeside in 1970 and it was suggested that was the 1969 Bathurst winner.

Personally that "Canberra Times" article must be incorrect and just another case of beat up journalism.

I will say it's amazing that the 57D vehicle has been owned by the same owner (Tony Connelly Ex GMH) for all this time. Normally cars like this have a long line of owners during their lifespan. Everyone is simply a custodian for a period of time until ownership passes on I always say.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's bit more to the story,

HT GTS HDT a - Copy.jpg

Tony Roberts and Colin Bond car (44D) at Bathurst. Check out the Number plate.

HT GTS HDT g - Copy.jpg

Interesting isn't it, maybe the Canberra Times have got it right ? more food for thought.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
The question arises now, where are the other 2 cars ? I think one of them was owned by Peter Champion or was that a tribute car as many that Peter had were ?

I'm suspecting a certain trucking magnate.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Well the plot thickens..............................

View attachment 212006

The bottom 3 lines seems to tell another story that the car was sold in late 1969 and left the HDT system and thus it couldn't be the same car as shown in the previous post as that car was at Lakeside in 1970 and it was suggested that was the 1969 Bathurst winner.

Personally that "Canberra Times" article must be incorrect and just another case of beat up journalism.

I will say it's amazing that the 57D vehicle has been owned by the same owner (Tony Connelly Ex GMH) for all this time. Normally cars like this have a long line of owners during their lifespan. Everyone is simply a custodian for a period of time until ownership passes on I always say.

This article from Car Advice seems to answer the mysteries.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/861370/million-dollar-holden-monaro-sells-for-715000/

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride

Honestly that article alludes to 3 cars, one effectively written off (57D) while the other 2 raced at Bathurst and finished on the podium, but infact there were actually 3 HDT cars, that being 42, 43 & 44 entered in the 1969 race and all 3 finished. They were all HT GTS 350's.

So I'm not sure how accurate that story in Car Advice really is. Also the livery on some of the photos I've put up on here and that Vic KNK-777 number plate has something to do with it all I feel. I'm sure they didn't simply swap the allocated road going number plates between cars as these vehicles already had VIN numbers along with body numbers. Back then these cars were driven to the tracks and not moved via a Transporter as we know of today.

I wonder what's happened to the car numbered 42D from the 69 Bathurst race ? as only two seem to survive, the other being the Brock / West car which went to auction last year and sold for $455,000. Wonder who owns that now ?

So many question with too many conflicting answers I feel.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This is not to do with this Monaro, but in this, just released .....
20200605111212_WEB.jpg

......... there is an article about the Holden Dealer Racing Team (not HDT) and it mentions that the original HK Monaros were run with different liveries, numbers, and number plates. It doesn't answer any questions, just gives an insight on how things were done, or mixed up, back when.
Interesting read. ( Well, I thought so.)