Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hub conversion

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
No they don't. Drifting is called "Racing" and clearly it is not, it's not the fastest car wins.
I'm not against drifting "Completions" or exhibitions or whatever you want to call them, in fact I'm all for it if it gets the clowns off the road who leave squiggly black lines everywhere. Let them go and show off in front of their mates at a venue where if they come to harm they hurt nobody but themselves. We were all young once and with youth comes such behavior.
A sport definition, looks like I was mistaken, I'm never wrong.
Definition from the interweb.
"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
"team sports such as soccer and rugby or individual sports such as drifting, graffiti daubing, public masturbation or flashing".
I have to admit FigJam you are right and I was mistaken :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And it does tend to be bald old men who you hear are getting involved in the sports of Public Masturbation and Flashing......:p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I might be a tad controversial here but drifting a sport? Maybe a pastime like doen grafiti or doen a Mainy (to yoo young blokes that's drivin up the main street downtown wuth soundsystem turned up n whistling at shielas) but not a sport.
With drifting there is no racing as such, the object is not to be the fastest car but see who can pose the best, in the same catergory as burnout competitions.

it is classed as a form of motor sport....Whether you class drifting as a sport is upto you....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Eh, I see the point but if you run a stupidly different amount of track front to back it's detrimental. The idea of having decent rim width is to also stop the tyre sidewalls rolling.

For skidders I see very few running 18s (heaps for front runners), but almost every person I've met uses 17s. Might be a bit different in Adelaide because of the easy/regular availability of Mallala and Tailem Bend.

I have rellies and mates involved in the burnout scene....The majority run 15" rims for skids...Some run 14", but I can't say any run larger than the 15"....

The main reason is, 14" and 15" tyres are cheap and they seem to be able to destroy them quicker than the larger diametre ones...One of the rellies and one mate travel interstate and compete in burnout comps too....

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How good is a bloke that builds a car all by himself a team will build 10 in the time he builds 1 with lessons learnt everyone on us here love making pollution in our own way we all love giving it full throttle for me its 4wd diff locks on in low the more mud the better. When building the drift car whats the diff to any other race car they want to win. A good looking young bloke might drive the winning car but usually old blokes build them.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have rellies and mates involved in the burnout scene....The majority run 15" rims for skids...Some run 14", but I can't say any run larger than the 15"....

The main reason is, 14" and 15" tyres are cheap and they seem to be able to destroy them quicker than the larger diametre ones...One of the rellies and one mate travel interstate and compete in burnout comps too....

Burnouts yeah, you just use anything/whatever is cheapest. Different ballpark completely to sliding though when you're looking for a decent levels of grip/longevity/handling and a tyre that doesn't delaminate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used to wheel a few years back. I did some awesome tracks out near Rydal and a fave over here, being the Pyenganna Jeep Track. I used to say if the winch doesn't get used then the track was not hard enough.... Gave up wheeling when i cooked the engine on my way to work. Parting out the wagon fetched me $5k and i needed to fund the house i was building myself so never ended up buying another. My choice of pollution now will be back on the race track now that i have RD 400 over here, where i can finally blow out the cob webs from 6 years of sitting stationary.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Burnouts yeah, you just use anything/whatever is cheapest. Different ballpark completely to sliding though when you're looking for a decent levels of grip/longevity/handling and a tyre that doesn't delaminate.

The people I deal with, in this sport only do it for fun and still only run 14 and 15" rims....

One in particular sticks in my mind well....He runs a VR or VS ute....V8 5 speed...Running standard 15" steel wheels fitted with Kumho 205/65X15 KR26's....He is a young fella that was stupid doing it on the street, until he got caught and lost his licence.....Now he has learnt his lesson, he does this on the track....

The tyres aren't exactly long lasting, grippy tyres, but he his young, drifting on a track and having his "rev head" fix at the same time

It's only when people get really serious about this sport, do they start spending big dollars on rubber and go larger diametre rims in the process, but for the general run of the mill ameteur wanting to have some "cheapish" fun, 14 and 15" rims will suffice

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I heard a lot of blokes run the cheap Achillies Sports for drifting.