Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hubcaps for a VR?

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
A whole heap of cosmetic upgrade questions

Hi all,

I'm driving a VR II Exec, and I'm just looking to tidy up the exterior on the (reasonably) cheap. I've just installed a pair of the clear side indicators, and I'm working on removing the "Holden", "Commodore" and "Executive" badges. I've also bought some of the VR clubsport style lions, I think they look a bit slicker.

I'm trying to chase down some "nice" (er...nicer, anyway) hubcaps, I've got a couple of leads out on that, so we'll see how that side of it goes.

So, now to the rear end. Not going to put too much work in there, since I'm going to have a great honking P-plate spoiling it for quite some time yet. But I'm thinking about going to the Calais style taillights - anyone know where I can find some at a reasonable price? In the meantime, I'll keep watching ebay for a deal. Along the same lines, the red boot garnish "stripe" is hideous. It looks like it's possible to get a plain grey one - (New Genuine) Holden Commodore VR-S BOOT LID GARNISH CENTRE - but I'm not sure how that'd look. I don't like the colour matched look, personally, it just looks like the bootlid is a stupid shape - what do you folks think it'd look like sprayed a satin black, against a white car? I've also seen a clear version in a thread on here somewhere, which I liked - apparently they've been known to crop up on ebay occasionally, but does anyone know where they're actually from?

Next up, the interior. Most of the Exec trim is fairly inoffensive - not exactly luxurious, but I'm driving it, not living in it. That said, a few nice touches wouldn't go astray, and as such I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what options I've got for improving:
  • The steering wheel (no airbag. Leather would be nice...)
  • The gear knob and boot (Manual 5 speed. It's a VR, so the knob is the screw on type. Again, leather would be nice...). Also the handbrake boot, since it'd be pretty tacky if they didn't match.

Finally, a question that's a bit practical for a thread about cosmetic improvements: Headlights. The high beams are adequate, but the low beams are pretty miserable - what's the best price/performance option if I want something that will last well and give better light than the originals? (In this case, I don't care about the cosmetic aspect - I'd rather stick to the yellow end of white, for travelling in rain and fog).

Last edited:

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
EDIT: note that this post and the one above it refer to the original first post, which has since been edited.

Hi, sorry, should have been clearer - I know that the Statesman ones are proper rims, I was just wondering if anyone had ever done a cap emulating the look.

Last edited:

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Bump: Edited first post to expand upon original question.