Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hud

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
A couple of photos from my car if someone wants to add some dimensions to them.

oooOOOHH Yeah that the measurements I want. See the size of that perspex screen, That could be the exact size of the after market HUD. Just imagine a new hood that covers the instrument panel then imaging the Bezel that's the bit with the perspex screen now just imagine you have no factory HUD sit them tempory on your dash and you remove that perspex and replace it with the aftermarket HUD this is 12 MM thick and have the size length and width roughly the same size as that perspex screen, Run the flat ribbon cable through the dash to the OBD Port, Set the HUD to auto start so when the OBD is active away it go's. Not worried yet about the double reflection as I have a few options on material to be used.

Can I ask you my Redline mate is it possible for you to measure that perspex screen length and the approx, width of it not worrying about the curve of the perspex.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The little hole in the perspex must be for the light sensor. Knowing the speed limit is very handy as I forget it all the time

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance and lack of research aka laziness, but how exactly does the computer know what the speed limit is? Can it see the signs or does it know from maps+gps or what? Just interested is all.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Well, I've just tried to measure the hole at the bottom edge of the bezel where the plastic screen is, and it's virtually impossible to do with any precision because of a) the shape is not regular, and b) parallax error. However, I managed to get a ROUGH approximation BUT DO NOT CUT ANY HOLES IN YOUR DASH BASED ON THESE MEASUREMENTS - YOU MUST CHECK FOR YOURSELF.

Leading transverse edge (i.e. long side closest the windscreen): 150mm

Trailing transverse edge: 143 mm.

Left (facing front) short edge: 73 mm.

Right short edge: 75 mm.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these measurements: I had to judge them by eye from above the windscreen, so there's bound to be errors. But it's a start. You really do need to see a HUD-equipped vehicle for yourself.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Please excuse my ignorance and lack of research aka laziness, but how exactly does the computer know what the speed limit is? Can it see the signs or does it know from maps+gps or what? Just interested is all.

Yup, based on info in the GPS data.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Yup, based on info in the GPS data.

As Sir Les has said it draws from the GPS data and it is therefore only as good as the info it is supplied with.

Others can chime in here with their experiences but here on the NSW Central Coast I’ve watched it like a hawk and it changes every time I’ve gone past a sign that changes the speed limit, either right beside the sign or within a couple of metres and I’ve haven’t yet been able to fault it.

Well, I've just tried to measure the hole at the bottom edge of the bezel where the plastic screen is, and it's virtually impossible to do with any precision because of a) the shape is not regular, and b) parallax error.

Good effort Sir Les, I didn't even bother to try because of the difficulty and I didn't want to risk marking the dashboard while doing it.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Anyone driven past any road works or similar and seen it change?

I was kinda assuming preloaded maps but would be cool if it could see the signs. Im also assuming these are updated via Holden services.

This question is kinda directed to people with VE or > out of warranty. Do you have to pay extra to update the computers programs when serviced by Holden?

Dont get me wrong i love seeing the tech in new cars, but i dont like the fact it could become so "apple"? Imagine some owners, i got a fine because. . . .

Ill probably never find out, hardly look at the speedo anyway, just go with the flow :smoking:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It can't see signs, it relies on the SatNav maps. Which are 3-4 years old now. I'm hoping new maps are released before Commodore goes away, as it doesn't seem any other generic maps (eg. for Garmin) can be used ... I reckon give it 5 years & we'll have to be using portable devices for our Commodores again, or one of those boxes which totally replaces MyLink with a CarPlay & Androod Auto compatibility (which of course won't be HUD compatible).

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Give us a targeting reticle already :shooting:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I've just tried to measure the hole at the bottom edge of the bezel where the plastic screen is, and it's virtually impossible to do with any precision because of a) the shape is not regular, and b) parallax error. However, I managed to get a ROUGH approximation BUT DO NOT CUT ANY HOLES IN YOUR DASH BASED ON THESE MEASUREMENTS - YOU MUST CHECK FOR YOURSELF.

Leading transverse edge (i.e. long side closest the windscreen): 150mm

Trailing transverse edge: 143 mm.

Left (facing front) short edge: 73 mm.

Right short edge: 75 mm.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these measurements: I had to judge them by eye from above the windscreen, so there's bound to be errors. But it's a start. You really do need to see a HUD-equipped vehicle for yourself.

After market LCD HUD size.

132MM = Long
86MM = Wide
12MM = Thick

Length wise its perfect, will allow for the 90 degree mini USB.

Width wise its perfect as you have two widths but need to be cut out to 86 MM square.

So what I will do next week or the week after as I'm busy Testing firmware DTS X updates on my Yammy Amp I will order the HOOD cover with red stitches and the bezel and then its fun time for the old man.

Your a good man and I like to thank you all for your effort

Last edited: