Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge power drain - spool

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
fif you put the spool in yourself ?
was the diff fien before this?
did you change the diff gears?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
putting a minispool in wouldn't alter the gear mesh/backlash unless you accidently swapped the 2 shims when re-installing.

the other option is that the diff was stuffed before you got it, however excess wear would have been evident on the gears when you fitted the mini spool

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Everything was cooked. Cause unknown but probably crushed bearing / shimmed wrong.

And I do mean EVERYTHING. Every seal was destroyed by hot oil (I believe the oil heated up to the point of breakdown, it seemed quite thin.. if that can even happen, I dunno..) and the bearings and gearset were destroyed from driving on partial seizure.

Axle is completely rebuilt and pending pickup, Fresh bearings, gearset and seals.. 3.08, retaining my minispool and axles (only good bits left in the thing)

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
yes seals and oil DO have a maximum temperature.
While working at a council we had a mack with a eaton box that was getting to about 120deg and were concerned. turned out to be a fault trans oil pump but the temp was a major cause for concern as many components are not made to withstand that temp.
many bearing are not suposed to go over aboiut 100deg, rubber hardens and goes brittle and oil can fail. fun thing is eaton said it would be ok but were not willing to put that in wrighting.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
ah well, got it back today and painted it silver

shocking damage to components lol

replaced gearset, the seals and plug had baked solid and brittle... bearings destroyed etc etc