Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge power drain - spool

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip correct shimming is important.youde be lucky to get away with using stock shims when fitting the spool every diff centre needs different shim thickness least youll get some power back.think of it as a horsepower upgrade

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Horsepower upgrade it shall be! It took an amazing amount of torque to turn the centre when I got it out, which I had been driving on for 2000km or more :p

I used the stock shims because every how-to I had found of fitting a spool yourself just stated to re-use them, since it was the same centre going back in, just different internally.

I still don't know for sure what the exact cause was, but I'm not really worried. It's something I won't need to worry about now!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I used the stock shims because every how-to I had found of fitting a spool yourself just stated to re-use them, since it was the same centre going back in, just different internally.

i'd say you either put the shims in the wrong side or posibly swapped the outer bearing races. LOL you learn from your mistakes

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
An outer bearing race swap is entirely possible actually. I didn't know they had to stay on the same sides :p

haha remember we kepts them the same side they came off including the shims

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
shimmed wrong i did the same in the race car took me around an hour to work out that i had them ass about changed back worked perfect oh well personally i clean the shims and mark the side there on and how thay came out now and if your shims are in good condition and you fitted a mini spool its best to use the same ones if its a full spool id recommend a full rebuild anyhow other wise you can guarantee something will brake

at least you come away with some more knowledge and a fresh diff :thumbsup:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
All done :)

rearendcomplete.jpg

delcowizzid

on holiday