Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge power drain - spool

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
My diff is tight as all buggery.. car doesn't roll down slight hills and with the back jacked up can barely turn the axles in neutral even with rotors off.

Any suggestions? My thoughts are the pinion being overtightened by prev. owner to stop the front seal from leaking..

Any help appreciated!

Sam

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
get it seen to. the gears must have some backlash in them to allow for expansion when things heat up. you could lock the wheels up and then get someone to swing of the pinion nut to tighten it and collapse the collapsable spacer a little for more clearance:p either that or strip the diff down and remove one shim washer from behind the pinion

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Can still feel some backlash in the diff, it's not tightly meshed as far as i can tell. Even when warm you can barely turn the rear tyres with the car off the ground.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thought of that, that's why I took the rotors off. Still almost impossible to turn the axles in neutral.

also, the handbrake shoes are soaked in diff oil from previous axles anyway, they do nothing

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you rotate the driveshaft back and foward to see if there is any backlash does it turn easy.if it does im thinking dodgy bearing or shimming for the spool or axle bearings.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
lol! cheers dirby

delcowizzid, I'll check that when I next manage to get the thing jacked up. I hope somehow it's the tailshaft :p even though it won't be.. I have a new one lined up to go in anyway!

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
lol well its probally cheaper and easier to get another one off ebay then to **** round with the current one if its ****ed.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I've already done this rear axle assembly 4 times now.. it's the principle of the thing. Besides, I'll have to take out my spool and put it in another diff. What a pain :p