Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

humming at idle

vpcommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
sometimes when at idle my car has a slight humming that i can hear coming from the front of the car and not sure what it could be?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
radiator fan

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably a rough bearing in one of the serpentine belt pulleys - remove the belt and spin pulleys by hand. If they fail completely the car will stop.
Good Luck.

vpcommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
could this cause the car to cut out for a second but turn back on automatically straight away coz my car did this yesterday? didnt even have to touch ignition or pedals or anything, just went out and then straight back on

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Probably a rough bearing in one of the serpentine belt pulleys - remove the belt and spin pulleys by hand. If they fail completely the car will stop.
Good Luck.

The other thing you can do if your CAREFUL is to take a long flat-head screwdriver, place the head on the bolt of the pulley and your ear on the "butt". You can hear the difference between a shagged bearing and a good one.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
could this cause the car to cut out for a second but turn back on automatically straight away coz my car did this yesterday? didnt even have to touch ignition or pedals or anything, just went out and then straight back on

Can't see how it would - the reason your car stops if a pulley bearing fails is that it throws the fanbelt off and you lose your waterpump and the car will boil very quickly - if you don't stop immediately you stand a good chance of seizing the engine. Re your miss I'd do a fault code check as your CAS may be failing and you are getting an early warning. "How to" is attached:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307