Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Husband credits

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep I'm gobsmacked that any Insurance Company would cover such stupidity as it could be easily seen as a malicious act so as to dispose of an unwanted problematic vehicle.
I guess they need to cover this in broad terms though. Because occasionally petrol station delivery drivers fill the tanks with the wrong fuel and to make a claim you first go through your own insurance Co. .

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
So long as the bills get paid, and I mean ALL the bills, then I don't really have a problem buying anything. The problem there is that we've been through lean times, and justifying buying something for myself is harder to get past myself than it would be past her. She's the same way, so we really don't have any problems in that regard.

That said, we buy each other stupid presents. Last year I got a kettle for Christmas and a stainless steel pot for my birthday. We needed a kettle, she wanted the pot and justified buying it 'for me'. Payback this year is my buying a nice rice cooker for her birthday (tomorrow, chit!). I'll probably get in the poop if I buy her a new phone for her birthday, which I'd like to do as hers is 5 years old now and she has no desire to update it. We'll see what happens there, but I reckon I can make a case for a new welder for myself without upsetting the apple cart at all.

For myself, so long as she can go buy something without my breaking out in a cold sweat, I really couldn't care less what she buys. Happy that I don't have to put limits on her or my own spending that we don't already put on ourselves.

Be nice if she had a job though. She doesn't need to get one, but it'd make everything a lot easier all round. Yes, we're stupid lucky and not in the slightest bit unaware of that fact. House and cars are all fully paid for. If I can get paid like I'm supposed to be, then we'll have a lot of fun for sure.

(If anyone needs a proper commercial electrician that doesn't know anything about wiring a house, but won't flinch at hooking up a switchboard the size of a house, hook me up.)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I hear you there, I once had nothing but soy sauce and rice to eat for a few days. Makes you appreciate money on a level that is hard to translate.

Schtoo, have a look at buying a second hand phone through gumtree or if you are desperate, facebook. If you are in a main city, you can't go wrong with a sim only plan from Kogan.

I remember 22/23 years ago, I had run out of money and all I could afford for a few days was a some pumpkin, carrots and sweet potato and made a mash and bread. I was on the street though. But it got worse for day and a half I run out of my vegies and bread. I was so hungry I waited at Banjo's Bakery hoping to snavill a bread roll when the charity people came to collect the left overs. Trouble is I got distracted for five mins and they came and left without me knowing.
I then had to wait another 24hrs for the bakery to shut again and the charity come to collect the bread. This time I waited with eyes firmly fixed on the doors. When they arrived I asked for some bread, the older man who was all confused said to some older lady, I assumed his wife "he wants a roll". The lady said oh, ok, she gave me a salad roll, and a cream bun..... Mate I felt like I was in heaven that day.... 20 years later I found out there are places that helped people who are broke and homeless, but at the time I never knew how to get help from a charity or if there was even places in Devonport who provided such a service.

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Losh, you got me beat I reckon. By a very long way.

Me, it was when I was small, mum wasn't the best health wise (kidney failure) but she was studying to be a nurse, working and raising me all on her own, and while I didn't really know it at the time she had almost nothing, except a drive to keep on going. She wasn't getting any help from anyone, but she eventually qualified, got a job (which she worked at her whole life) and got a mortgage.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure I got my unwillingness to pack it in from her, but also got an understanding of when to simply say "%$#%$ it" and move on when needed, which is almost as valuable.

Myself, living in Japan on $600 a month was pretty tough, but I was young, in good health and I had some help from a young lady with whom I now fight over the covers with every night. Didn't mean we didn't do it tough, and I cried my eyes out when my daughter was born on Dec. 6th and I had to save up a whole week to buy her a very small stuffed toy for Christmas and that was all I could manage. Swore to myself I would not ever be that low ever again, I wouldn't put my kids what I went through if I could help it.

13 years later (because she's turning 13 on Sunday), I'm short a mum and dad (mum 3 years ago, dad early this year) but the house is paid for, 3 cars all paid for and we're not in the slightest bit hurting $$$ wise, but still don't waste it. More would add comfort and confidence, but we're not going hungry or cold. Just frustrating that I'm a counter jumper who's so ridiculously over qualified for what I'm doing it's insane, it's no secret to anyone and I'm sure the higher ups know they're getting a pro for a pittance. But it's close to home, good people to work with every day so while it's annoying, it could be a heck of a lot worse. I don't think I could screw up bad enough to get even a warning...

So thanks for the suggestion on a second hand phone, but it's not happening. She'd reject the latest and greatest on principle, but she's got a preference for something that's reasonably priced and that's what I'll get her. She'll take good care of it, so it's not like it's going to be landfill in a year or two. I married her, not her sister. ;)