Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huston, we have a problem.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Thanks man, appreciate this :)

It would be good if I had the car running by Monday for my new job :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
After having a look at my engine with the timing cover off, it is very possible it has carbon build up on the sleeve, as the sleeve protrudes through the block on the inside. Other than getting out the way you have been trying it might be a timing cover off job and wack it out from the inside. But, that's worst case i guess....

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahhhh, good to know it's probably carbon - I really appreciate that :)

I guess I'll stick at it, use more freeze, keep hitting it... eventually something's gotta give. I'm really not surprised it's all sludged up after 300,000km of cheap oil.

Timing cover job would be depressing. Good thing I'm starting work at Burson Auto Spares on Monday :p

Thanks again mate :)

Meanwhile - anybody got a welder? :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
hehe, if I could get the car to them, so they could zap the tool onto my broken diecast sleeve, it would be an ideal plan :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey Morton - can you get a hack saw onto there? Cut a slot into the shaft and wind it out with the biggest screw driver you can find.

As an absolute last resort try vice grips.

Or just drive it down here and I'll get the hammer/9" grinder onto it. either or both should work a treat :)

Reaper

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I experienced the same problem as you with a dizzy on a high mileage utterly flogged 253 years ago. When I removed the rocker covers, oil poured out everywhere. There was so much sludge in the motor that the oil return galleries in the head were completely choked.

I couldn't believe the fight I had with the dizzy to get it out. No doubt, that's what the problem will be this time.

Only other alternative I can see is to remove front cover etc as discussed.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hey, that's a good idea!!! there's about 2-3mm protruding from the block, so I could get my dremel, and grind a slot onto each side of the sleeve. Then I could get something long and flat, and use that to turn it!

You're a smart man, I'm adding that to my list of things to try!!! :)

Thanks for the brainstorm guys, this is so much more effective than my bolt + washer + rope + anvil + bash it down with a mallet trick :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I experienced the same problem as you with a dizzy on a high mileage utterly flogged 253 years ago. When I removed the rocker covers, oil poured out everywhere. There was so much sludge in the motor that the oil return galleries in the head were completely choked.

I couldn't believe the fight I had with the dizzy to get it out. No doubt, that's what the problem will be this time.

Only other alternative I can see is to remove front cover etc as discussed.

Yeah, luckily for me the problem isn't THAT bad. I just dread the day when some of the sludge dislodges and finds its way into my pickup :)

Hopefully I'll have an engine crane by then. That'll make the job easier :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey, that's a good idea!!! there's about 2-3mm protruding from the block, so I could get my dremel, and grind a slot onto each side of the sleeve. Then I could get something long and flat, and use that to turn it!

You're a smart man, I'm adding that to my list of things to try!!! :)

Thanks for the brainstorm guys, this is so much more effective than my bolt + washer + rope + anvil + bash it down with a mallet trick :p

I prefer the 9" and hammer idea myself but whatever works :)

Reaper