Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huston, we have a problem.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Houston, we have a problem.

My oil pump cracked yesterday, and upon removing it today, it appears that the crack has extended to the sleeve that surrounds the key shaft on the drive gear on the oil pump. See attached picture.

The alloy shaft is snapped clean off in the block, with only 2mm purchase beyond the lip on the block - not enough to grab and pull out.

I've threaded a bolt into the sleeve about 4-5 turns, and can't seem to pull it out with any force I can generate.

It occurs to me that the sleeve should just slide out - what on earth has happened to it? I'm having a bastard of a time trying to remove it :) Does anybody have any really bright ideas?!

Many thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• oilpump.GIF
    oilpump.GIF
    7.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Some WD40 + freeze spray on the sleeve might help?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Freeze spray didn't do much for me. I'm reluctant to use WD40, heaven forbid I get some into the engine and the next oil drail doesn't get it all.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
weld the bolt to the end of a pipe or something (like an extension) that you can put a "t" attachment on and then try to wind it out.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Freeze spray didn't do much for me. I'm reluctant to use WD40, heaven forbid I get some into the engine and the next oil drail doesn't get it all.

A small amount of WD40 won't matter one way or another. It will evaporate out just like small amounts of petrol vapor that finds it's way into the crank case.

Reaper

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahhh yes, a welder would be so helpful :) Anything to wiggle it side to side would be a winnar. Unfortunately I have very little in the way of welding equipment :p i.e. nothing.

Damn good idea though. Anybody willing to bring a welder to Box Hill North? :) (has to be able to weld alloy I think! :p)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Morton

Going on from what Reaper suggests, the sleeve is only a slide fit into the block. Can you continue to thread the bolt into the sleeve and turn it clockwise to the point where it ceases to turn by itself and commences to turn the sleeve? If you can get the sleeve to rotate, you should be able to work it out by turning it back and forth to free it further and pulling it out at the same time.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent it coming out would be carbon build-up on the inner end of the sleeve, but that would only really happen with a really high mileage or neglected engine.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The sleeve isn't that tight a fit....It should by rights just pull out. So, you have the bolt threaded in, why not just pull the bolt back out put a nut on the bolt, thread the bolt into the sleeve then wind the nut back against the sleeve so it locks the bolt in the sleeve if you know what i mean, then just wind the bolt and pull on it at the same time.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The only thing I can think of that would prevent it coming out would be carbon build-up on the inner end of the sleeve, but that would only really happen with a really high mileage or neglected engine.

300,000km and the previous owners used bad oils :) The distributor was a BITCH to remove, similar carbon buildup issues.

The sleeve isn't that tight a fit....It should by rights just pull out. So, you have the bolt threaded in, why not just pull the bolt back out put a nut on the bolt, thread the bolt into the sleeve then wind the nut back against the sleeve so it locks the bolt in the sleeve if you know what i mean, then just wind the bolt and pull on it at the same time.

Yeah I know, all I can think is of what Calaber mentioned - carbon buildup.

I'll try using the nut to lock it - that's an excellent idea, thankyou :) Although I suspect the alloy may be so soft, the thread I've created will tear the sleeve before the sleeve rotates.

I'll try that tomorrow though, thankyou again :)

*hugs and kisses*