Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hydratrak diff???

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys i was just wondering what exactly is a hydratrak diff. I am just looking at different diffs and i have no idea what a hyrdatrac diff. If you could help me out with some info trhat would be great. Also any info on a Kaaz iff would be helpful as well. I have some knowledge of a kaaz diff but still not 100% sure of how it works and if its worth buying

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I read it recently in the HSV mag I bought, First seen in the VR clubsport. I can't really remember what it said, but I think it had somthing to do with better traction over normal LSD's but cant remember why, If you wuna find out, go to a newsagent and buy a copy is Wheels 20 years of HSV and its in there.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the hydratrack i know very little about, something to do with the way the lsd locks up and releases with its viscous design....i have heard they're kinda **** for the cost...

the KAAZ on the other hand i cant recommend highly enough...bloody great lsd's! they're basically the lsd of choice for performance applications and are so damn reliable and strong. unlike other lsd's which work with a cone and seat design or similar, with torque forcing them to lock together creating the lock between both wheels, the KAAZ has heaps of little clutch packs.
they're very tight and are pretty much locked most of the time, only having the slightest give in them, at low speed turning you can just hear the packs "groaning" or "chattering" as they slip a bit to allow independent movement of each rear wheel. as soon as torque is applied they force together more and more, creating essentially a locked diff similar to what you'd get with a mini spool etc...
i always get comments about how predictible and tight my KAAZ is, i absolutely love the damn thing. they're expensive, but well worth it if your after a good lsd and dont want to risk it with a spool. another good thing about them is you can get 2-way KAAZ lsd's....meaning your diff is lock under deceleration as well, which is great for high speed cornering.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
the hydratrack diff came out with the VS GTS i am sure of. im not sure how they work but i know that they are not serviceable, and once its worn out its a throw away job. hope this helps

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I can also vouch for the Kaaz lsd. I have a 2-way Kaaz and it is probly the best thing iv bought for my stroker. I honestly cant hear the clutches. As long as you run it in proply youl have no dramas at all.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So the Kaaz is an over priced lokka?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Well... people get ripped off then people get decent deals. If your paying more than 1100 installed then you can say..... yea ripped off! They have a warranty to, cant go wrong really. Their a jap diff but its been proven to last alot longer than any other no need to re-tension springs ect. Just $30 oil change every 10thou k's.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
I can also vouch for the Kaaz lsd. I have a 2-way Kaaz and it is probly the best thing iv bought for my stroker. I honestly cant hear the clutches. As long as you run it in proply youl have no dramas at all.

i only ever hear mine in the morning when the diff oil is obviously cold, when i back out of the garage and turn, it makes an ever so slight chattering. other than that they're usually very quiet....very different to how they are when they're brand new, **** they make a racket! lol, running mine in i was wincing at some of the noises it made.

airstrike...they're hardly overpriced, you get what you pay for in life and if you want an awesome lsd you pay the price.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
airstrike...they're hardly overpriced, you get what you pay for in life and if you want an awesome lsd you pay the price.

hes just saying they sound exactly like a $600 lokka

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
the hydratrak is a viscous coupling insert which goes where a clutch pack normally would in your diff. It works by way of a viscous fluid which actually gets thicker as it gets hotter, which then evens out torque split to each of the axles. But, since it is a fluid, it does lose its' effect over time. Stay with a mechanical set up.